TR: JMT Kearsarge -> Whitney 6/9-11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: JMT Kearsarge -> Whitney 6/9-11

Post by Hobbes »

RiseToADry wrote:Thanks for the report Hobbes! You're a stud hiker, you covered some miles on this trip.
Well, to be honest, I train year-round by running around 25+ miles/week in order to hike (longer distances). In addition, I have what is referred to as a 'super ultra-light' setup: 14lbs total going in, 10 coming out. Last, I'm precise about what I can/can't do - I carefully plot/plan each trip (based on records of past trips), and then record my actual times while on the trail (I take along a small pencil). Here's my updated record for this trip:

* The Kings NP mileage sign on the PCT shows 3 miles to Kearsarge and of 7.5 to Onion vs the Inyo TH sign saying 5 miles to Kearsarge.

For many/most, that's just too much effort and/or hassle just to go hiking a few times in the Sierra. I totally get that; this is just one of my things. (The other is surfing for over 4 decades.)
How were the higher elevation lakes (WLB, Guitar, Wallace, Crabtree etc)? Still frozen?
If you check the Whitney link, there are some photos of Guitar & Hitchcock that are ice free. From Whitney, I could see that Wales was ice free as well, but I didn't take a photo. However, here's a shot of Tulainyo completely iced over:

Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: JMT Kearsarge -> Whitney 6/9-11

Post by Ska-T »

Hobbes wrote:Pretty bitchin'.
I suspected you had a surfing background. :nod:
Thanks for the entertaining and instructional report!

-Scott in Surf City USA