TR: JMT Kearsarge -> Whitney 6/9-11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Just got back from a quick 3 day, 2 night trip from Onion to Portal:

D1 - 14.5 miles, Onion to 11.4k plateau 2.2 miles north of Forester
Left OC a little after 4am Monday morning and got to the visitor center just after 8am. It was a little backed up, but got my permit, got changed/prepped, met my ride & parked my car in Lone Pine by 9am. (Drop me a PM if you want some shuttle contact info.) Got dropped off and hit the trail @ 10am. Crossed Kearsarge @ 12:20 and hung out for a bit to have lunch. Took the Kearsarge lakes/Bullfrog junction to the PCT and pulled in for the night @ 5:40pm. View of the Kings-Kern divide from the campsite with only me and some marmots for company.

D2 - 16 miles, campsite to Crabtree RS.
I had been reading some PCT blog reports about poor snow/ice conditions on Forester, so I decided at the last minute to take my micro-spikes - best decision I've made in some time. Got going at 6:30am and hit the snow fields @ 7am. Made the pass @ 8:30am, which made for a very slow ascent, but the spikes (along with poles which I always take) worked like a charm for these particular conditions.

The snow was still icy, so I was able to easily walk alongside the existing postholes & boot tracks created by the northbound PCTers. Only near the top did I posthole myself up to my waist. Going up/down even an hour later could produce the kinds of horror stories being reported by PCTers hitting the pass in the afternoon. What ever happened to 'passes & peaks in the morning'?

Anyway, my guess is that these conditions could persist for a few more weeks; not just on Forester, but all the other usual suspects as well ie Glen, et al. If you're heading out, I would try and deal with snow crossings before 8am.

The snow fields continued for 2.5 miles south of Forester along the PCT until the Tyndall watershed nears the x-c shoulder to LSA. I didn't bother wearing my spikes since I simply walked through the snow free light talus alongside the trail covered with snow/ice patches. I couldn't see the actual trail for about a mile, but I knew it was between me and the still frozen lakes. I got back on the PCT @ the bluff overlooking the Tyndall basin (with a good view of Rockwell) and headed on out.

It had taken me 4.5 hrs to go 7 miles, but I still needed to make another 9 miles to get where I wanted to be for my last day. Pulled in across Whitney creek from the ranger station before 4pm, made camp; all in all, a long day.

Forester 2 miles way (notch with snowfield underneath):

Getting closer:

Final traverse:

Lower Wright/Wallace meadow looking down towards Kern Cyn (HST meet-up is the other way):

D3 - 18 miles, Crabtree RS to Portal, via Mt Whitney
It had started to cloud up around 2pm the day before, and sure enough right after I set up camp, the Sierra put on a weather spectacular: wind, hail, thunder & lightning. I cozied up and began reading my book, but I must have fallen asleep, because I woke up @ 9pm and is was perfectly clear with an almost full moon just coming up and lighting up everything. Pretty bitchin'.

I had another big day ahead of me, so I just went back to sleep and hit the trail once again before 6:30 am. It turned out to be sort of an eventful day, which I posted an account over @ the Whitney zone for those interested in my little 'adventure'.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... #Post37400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS - Water crossings (I just wade through with my shoes on - I wear trail runners that drain & dry very quickly):
1. The first major water crossing was the drainage coming from Center basin in Upper Vidette. A PCTer got there at the same time as me from the other side, and tried for a rock about 1/3 the way in a semi narrow section with the hope of getting across dry, but got stuck, and decided to plunge from there at about waist high water. I said forget that and went back to the washed out trail point and waded through around mid-calf to knee.

2. Tyndal was running at a pretty good clip. Some hikers were drying their feet & pull their shoes back on, but once again, I just waded on through with my poles fully extended. Water was mid-thigh to crotch high (I'm 6'1").

3. Wright - for a little creek, this one was around mid-calf.

4. Wallace - more water, wider crossing, around knee high.

Lots of other crossings of course, but all were doable with a little patience, trekking poles fully extended, and careful stepping/leap frogging.

PPS - A note about mosquitoes. Unfortunately, I'm the worst person to ask about mosquitoes since I take along my nuclear DEET (Ben's + 3m). So, even though some PCTers were complaining about the pests, especially in Vidette, they never landed on me even though I could see them flying around. However, according to others, they seem to think they're bad, so there's a second hand report.
Last edited by Hobbes on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: JMT Kearsarge -> Whitney 6/9-11

Post by maverick »

Thanks Hobbes for posting this useful TR and pictures, especially for those who are
heading out to that area in the next few weeks. By the way, which spikes did you
use, Kohtoola or Yak Trax?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

maverick wrote:Thanks Hobbes for posting this useful TR and pictures, especially for those who are
heading out to that area in the next few weeks. By the way, which spikes did you
use, Kohtoola or Yak Trax?
Kohtoola. If any PCTers are reading this, you might try and get a pair @ Kennedy before you hit Forester, et al. You can always mail them back after Donohue.

Of course, they won't do anyone any good if crossings are attempted after 8am (or even earlier). I ran into a few PCTers who were anxious about Forester. I said the same thing to each one "camp under the switchbacks" at the base of the south side ie around 1.75 miles across the snow fields and .75 till the pass. Get going around 6am, and don't lollygag on the top. Catch your breath and follow the traverse to the west (left looking north).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your absolutely right Hobbes, timing passes, especially this time of the year, and these
conditions, is very important.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Hobbes. I've been hoping to get some updates for the area and your report and photos are very much appreciated. Gotta love those trail runners! I still have a few pairs of the old Montrail Sabino's in the gear closet:).
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Bluewater wrote: Gotta love those trail runners! I still have a few pairs of the old Montrail Sabino's in the gear closet:).
These New Balance MT1010v2 are the best shoes I've ever owned. I had to buy a new pair in neon blue (pictured) since I think they were the last available pair in my size/width in the USA.

If you follow my link to the Whitney weather report, the Vibram soles literally stuck to wet granite. NB has been messing around with their shoes, so I'll have to see what the new v3 looks like.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for your recommendation! I've been in the market for a new trail runner since the Sabinos were discontinued. New Balance is the only brand I've found with the EE width I need. I've been considering the MT1210. Do you have any thoughts regarding the difference between the two? I'm 6'/195 lbs and like something reasonably lightweight but usually not under 24-26 ozs/pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
macchiolives
Topix Novice

Post by macchiolives »

Check out 6pm.com. They are zappos.com's outlet store. They have great deals on New Balances. I bought a pair of new balance 890v2s last summer for 60% off and they're amazing. Great pics BTW!!!!
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

Thanks for the report Hobbes! You're a stud hiker, you covered some miles on this trip.

How were the higher elevation lakes (WLB, Guitar, Wallace, Crabtree etc)? Still frozen?
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Bluewater wrote:New Balance is the only brand I've found with the EE width I need. I've been considering the MT1210. I'm 6'/195 lbs and like something reasonably lightweight but usually not under 24-26 ozs/pair.
I wear NB because they carry 2E and their NL-1 last used for their minimus line of trail runners has a very wide shoebox. I've never tried the MT1210 - I'm sort of hooked into the 10, 101 & 1010 line.