TR: Saddlebag Lake 6/2-6/9-6/11

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Dag
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Saddlebag Lake 6/2-6/9-6/11

Post by Dag »

Was up there June 2--still mostly iced over. One week later on June 9 all iced out—trail on left of lake still requires crossing several 50-75 yrd snow fields or did on June 11.

Here is setting out on June 9 after ice out:

Here's my wife and the view toward Greenstone:

And here's a stocked bow happily released:

I was shocked but not surprised that Saddlebag was iced over June 2nd, if that makes sense! Will post on some southern high sierra fishing adventures soon. Thanks to all on this forum for info as I planned from back east.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Saddlebag Lake 6/2-6/9-6/11

Post by maverick »

Hi Dag,

Thanks for the TR and pictures to a place that many members are considering visiting. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Saddlebag Lake 6/2-6/9-6/11

Post by rlown »

nice report. That's about what it looked like a few Octobers ago. Gonna be a tough year as Summer arrives.