TH at Jennie Lakes Wilderness? Big Meadow...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richapple
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by richapple »

Anyone who has hiked out of the Big Meadow Trail Head into the Jennie Lakes Wilderness: True there is no bear box there? I assume the road is no big deal... Odd about the bear box. Means full planning to have zero bear-bait items to leave at the TH.

Thanks!

Apple
richapple
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

There is no bear box at the trailhead but there are bear boxes at all the campsites along the road. And they definitely need boxes at the trailhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Re: TH at Jennie Lakes Wilderness? Big Meadow...

Post by richapple »

AlmostThere,

Campsites along the road are not too far from the trailhead? I know if I camped and a small bag with a sad little note about backpacking was in the box, I wouldn't mind!

Thanks!
richapple
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I know there are bear boxes at the Big Meadow Campground sites, and none
at Jennie or Weaver Lakes, and no dedicated boxes for the trailhead
which makes not make sense. Call (559) 338-2251 and please let us know if things
have changed.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Post by richapple »

Maverick,

I did call Hume Ranger Station (though a different number than the one you gave) and she looked at a map and said "no bear boxes" (ranger at Grant Grove Village Visitor Center on the phone said she thought they were still "no bear boxes" out there), but then if we find some there I'll update this thread after the trip. Just over the border into King's Cyn, a couple of the backcountry lakes apparently have bear boxes. We don't need 'em in the backcountry as we've become full-time bear box b-packers! (Bearikades - dig 'em)

Thanks
richapple
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, Seville, Lost and Ranger Lakes have them. If your going that far, make sure to
visit Lost Lake, beautiful at sunrise!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Post by richapple »

Yes, Lost Lake is high on the list! Campable? Thx
richapple
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, the bear box is located on the eastern end of the lake, and there is room for
quite a few tents. Usually any location with bear boxes has a decent amount of
campsites in the immediate vicinity as is the case at Seville and Ranger Lake. Sheep
Camp Lakes are also well worth the visit too, especially the upper one, an easy
crosscountry jaunt.

evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted

Post by evilgenius32 »

Are you planning on starting at Big Meadows TH or the shortcut at Fox Meadows? It cuts off a few miles.
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Post by richapple »

Bear Box even at Lost Lake? Did not know that, but then not looking for them... Our favorites are the lakes without trails, let alone bear boxes! (later trips)

Sheep Lake must be just northwest of Lost Lake? Cool. It's on the list! Cross Country is A-Okay with us.

And the Fox Meadow TH... It must be the first major right turn after the Big Meadow TH (unpaved roads in there I'm figuring - have never been - but okay for passenger cars) and then you just do a short cross country or use trail to the Jennie Lakes/Weaver trail? Turn for Fox Meadow TH looks to be about 1.5 miles past Big Meadow TH, then the right turn and a half mile to a three-way fork where one takes the center route, then another mile? We'd read about Fox Meadow, so this is now just more good advice! (Trailhead web page says road still closed and open to foot traffic only to Rowell Meadows TH, but I'll bet it is open to the Fox Meadow turn and probably even to Rowell. The internet is usually behind for the Sierras everywhere but High Sierra Topix!)

Thanks all,

Rich
richapple