Lost Wedding Ring -- FOUND

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Lost Wedding Ring -- FOUND

Post by hikin_jim »

Pretty much a long shot, but if anyone is heading to Charlotte Lake (just off the JMT near Kearsarge Pass), I lost a man's wedding ring there this past Sunday. It's titanium (silvery in color), so no great dollar value, but of course there's sentimental value.

I camped at the west end of the lake just east of two large Knaack brand brown/tan metal tool boxes that are presumably used by horse packers as food storage boxes. Note that these boxes are not the NPS supplied bear locker which is further east. From where I was, I could see the two tool boxes out of the corner of my eye, so I was close, just east of them.

I've marked the approximate position on a topo map. Note that the position of the trail is wrong on the map. The trail ran below my position, not above it. If you zoom in on the map, you should be able to see where I've sketched in the corrected position of the trail.

Yep, major long shot I realize, but if anyone is out that way, look for it on top of a rock just east of those two tool boxes.

Much obliged,

HJ
Last edited by hikin_jim on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lost Wedding Ring -- Charlotte Lake

Post by rlown »

Bummer about the ring. Hope someone finds it for you.

Mine stays in the truck when i hike as i tend to swell at altitude. Would hate to have to cut off the ring to save my finger.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey HJ,

Good luck on finding it! Idea, maybe posting a small reward might motivate some
folks to look or at least to keep an eye open when passing thru the area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

rlown wrote:Bummer about the ring. Hope someone finds it for you.

Mine stays in the truck when i hike as i tend to swell at altitude. Would hate to have to cut off the ring to save my finger.
Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have worn it. A lot of hikes I don't, but I had a mis-understanding with a young woman a couple of years ago that would have been prevented had I been wearing my ring, so I've worn it ever since. Normally I don't take it off if I am wearing it hiking, but I was cleaning fish, and...

HJ
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the funny part of a ring. if you take it off and hike and don't slather on sun protection, the sun burns a red ring around your finger. pretty funny. Still a ring. :)

i don't have those misunderstandings. they are way out of my league.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

You know what, that's exactly what happened. I did get a sun burn on my ring finger, lol.

HJ
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

This reminds me of a post on supertopo:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum ... cidentally" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, it could very well be found.

Short version:
June 2005, dude loses his wedding ring while climbing the Nose in Yosi and posts a message about same.

Thread goes silent for eight long years.

December 2013, another guy posts on the old thread says he found the ring but cannot get in touch with the owner.

Christmas eve, the guy that lost the ring appears on the thread and says "just waiting for the kids to wake up, so I grab the iPad to kill some time".
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

maverick wrote:Hey HJ,

Good luck on finding it! Idea, maybe posting a small reward might motivate some
folks to look or at least to keep an eye open when passing thru the area.
Hmm. Well, that's a thought.

OK, $100 bucks, cash, to anyone who finds it.

And Charlotte Lake is really a lovely with decent fishing besides.

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

In case people don't know what I mean by a Knaack tool box, this is a big, honking tool chest, the kind that gets left at a job site. I think they're about 4 1/2 feet wide and maybe 3 1/2 feet tall. Big. I have no idea how they got these things up there (there are two of them), even with mules.

There were two of these, about where I've shown them on the linked topo map in my first post. I was in a flat area just east of the two tool boxes. I could see the closer tool box quite clearly. Maybe I was 30 yards away. I was above the trail even though the topo map shows the trail higher than where I was. The topo map is wrong in that aspect.

HJ
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

we get to see a toolbox and no fish pictures? :D
Sorry, i could not resist.

Curious though, why are the toolboxes there?

russ

good luck with the ring.