3 day / 2 night Backpacking for beginners.

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 3 day / 2 night Backpacking for beginners.

Post by thepreciselife »

AlmostThere wrote:They are telling you the earliest time permits are available. if there are permits left the following morning you can get them when the doors open.
That is want I wanted to clear up with them since I wasn't sure if I'd have to wait til 11am to get a same day permit.

So so far LLV is plan A,
now to find a somewhat local plan B,
and possibly a C.
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Plan B: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=11049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

maverick wrote:Plan B: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=11049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maverick, thank you so much for all the input youve had on my thread. lol

This is an awesome plan B but it says 20 miles, but he also does a weird loop and visits
all the lakes in the area... im guessing it can be greatly shortened if we just set up camp
at one of the first lakes?
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, Second Lake makes a good basecamp. If your feeling strong than continuing
on to Fourth Lake above the cliffs, offers the best campsite and views of all the
lakes.
Maverick, thank you so much for all the input youve had on my thread. lol
Thanks, that's what I'm here for, to make your trip as good and safe as possible.
Don't forget to use the HST Reconn Form link at the bottom, in my sig, for your
own safety please.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

maverick wrote:Yes, Second Lake makes a good basecamp. If your feeling strong than continuing
on to Fourth Lake above the cliffs, offers the best campsite and views of all the
lakes.
Cool, Ill look into that and see how far it is to the first lake.
maverick wrote:Yes Thanks, that's what I'm here for, to make your trip as good and safe as possible.
Don't forget to use the HST Reconn Form link at the bottom, in my sig, for your
own safety please.
Already bookmarked it and ill be filling it out soon.
I am very appreciative of this forum and members like you because without it, id head to this trail with minimal information and prob a good amount of unanswered questions that might lead to a not-so-great experience.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

PM sent.

thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

Review of LLV

"If you look forward to a bit of solitude on your hikes, this is NOT for you. Amusement park crowds may be OK for families but this place is packed - especially on weekends. Otherwise an easy and picturesque hike."

:confused:

I am going to be 100% honest and state that I had interest in having my first nature filled skinny dipping experience at one of these lakes..... don't know if its frowned upon on this site but I have searched it and read other peoples experiences of them doing it in the Sierra
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

:nod: Any place as pretty as this, with very easy to access, and trails, will see a lot
of people, especially during the holiday weekend. If you try to go to the far end
of a lake, that is a little further back from the trail, Hidden, Treasure, and Gem
Lakes, the crowds will drop dramatically. Most hikers/backpackers look for
something close and conveniently located near the trail, a sense of security.
You can be at a lake a 1/4 mile off the JMT, that has no trail to it, and you can
have all the solitude you want, because most folks will stay at popular backcountry
sites along the trail.

thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

so what youre saying is, it still might be possible for me to "naturally" enjoy the water
if I find the right spot? :-k
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

umm. skinny dip all you want. No one cares. we had 5 guys skinny dip at Lillian a couple years ago. Doesn't matter the lake.

If you're shy, pick a harder lake.

My wife and I did the whole skinny thing at Spaulding Lk off I-80 on a fishing trip. A back cove, and when other vessels came into the cove, we just covered up, a bit. They turned around. :)
Last edited by rlown on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.