Camp spot? Crag Lake Deso

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mediauras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Camp spot? Crag Lake Deso

Post by mediauras »

Hi. I'm finally going to grab a couple of days out this season, with a nice little stroll through a part of Desolation I haven't been to before. First night I'm slotted for Middle Velma -- camping there seems like it will be easy and explanatory enough -- but second night I was going to stop somewhere around Crag Lake. Any suggestions on a decent site there, or in the vicinity? Betting I'll see a bunch of skeeters there, and trying to avoid that. Maybe get to Cliff Lake, which looks a bit more open and granite'y?

Thanks. Hope everyone's getting some time out there... :)
larree0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Camp spot? Crag Lake Deso

Post by larree0 »

There are a few small spots on the trail side,only one that is very far off trail and pretty close (too close?) to lake. At the upper end, there is one nice spot but also close to trail. If you head west at the upper end thru the trees, there are at least two very nice sites in the inlet flats area.
However, if you've got the miles, Stony ridge lake is really pretty , more open but higher elevation (fewer/more bugs?) PM me if u want more info . I also left a short TR under Meeks Bay.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camp spot? Crag Lake Deso

Post by Tom_H »

There is a great spot. I will PM you with a map link showing the location.