Transit question in the Fresno / Hanford / Visalia area

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Transit question in the Fresno / Hanford / Visalia area

Post by maiathebee »

Hi everyone! I'm taking a group of friends on the High Sierra Trail this August and I'm in the process of planning our transportation. I live in Oakland (bay area) and I've managed to convince someone to come pick my group up at Whitney Portal and drive us back to the bay area and I'm working on the transportation to start our trip.

Our trip begins on Wednesday, August 6 and I have reserved a spot at Lodgepole for Tuesday, August 5.

I had originally thought we'd take Amtrak to Visalia and then take the private Sequoia Shuttle (https://www.sequoiashuttle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) into the park, but after looking at the schedules in more detail, it seems this isn't possible---the last Sequoia Shuttle leaves Visalia two hours before the earliest Amtrak from Oakland arrives.

So now I'm thinking that we will take the train down on Monday night and stay in Visalia so we can take the Sequoia Shuttle into the park in the morning. I like this option because it will give us time to get a nice dayhike in out of Lodgepole on Tuesday.

My problem is this: there isn't an Amtrak that goes all the way to Visalia that leaves late enough for people who want to work on Monday. There is, however, a train that goes to Hanford. So, my question is this:

Is it possible to take a taxi from Hanford to Visalia? About how much would this cost?

(I know about KART bus but I don't want to ride a bus for 1.5 hours for a drive that would take 15 minutes.)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Transit question in the Fresno / Hanford / Visalia area

Post by maverick »

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-much ... to-visalia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Re: Transit question in the Fresno / Hanford / Visalia area

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks, mav. I guess my question was really more along the lines of is this possible in the sense of will there actually be taxis around who are willing to do this. I just checked out Lyft's service areas though and it looks like they serve all of Fresno / Hanford / Visalia so we are pretty confident we'll be able to make it from Hanford to Visalia on a Monday night. I'll post here again to let everyone know how it turns out, but that will have to wait until late August!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love