Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

For those new members who have not introduced themselves and/or missed this thread.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Re: Rockies Pics

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

bravefanla wrote:I'll have to look in the way back machine...
Are you a fan of the SYSK Podcast too? One of my favorites!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1866yellowboy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by 1866yellowboy »

Hello all,
I'm 31 and started backpacking 7 years ago. It all started when I was looking for a campground with nice hikes and some solitude with my then girlfriend, now my wife. I knew absolutely nothing about backpacking and had barely even heard of it. Then I came across a site with a trail journal on the JMT. I read it many times and decided that I'm going to be a backpacker. I bought a bunch of books and required gear and planned my 1st trip without talking to anyone that had backpacked. I did have experience reading maps though from geology courses. My 1st trip was to Dinkey Lakes with my gf and I was addicted. I learned very fast that the lighter the backpack the more enjoyable. I carried so much stuff that I didn't need. I usually only go once or twice a year but I try to make the trips at least a week long.
Strangely I just found this site a few weeks ago even though I am always searching the internet for trips. I have maps of the Sierra pinned up in my garage and have planned plenty of trips to get me through the next several years. But that doesn't stop me from looking at them. I have some experience with off trail hiking as well as some scrambling over trail-less passes. I don't claim to be an expert though. This is a very useful site and am thankful that I found it.

Thank you,
Jon
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Jon,
Welcome. I too started the trial-error method with heavy and too much; but I was hooked. That was 38yrs ago. Welcome again and we all look forward to trip reports!
Backpackingmom
Topix Novice

Post by Backpackingmom »

Hi everyone!

I joined last year, but admit to lurking a for a few years! My hubby got me into backpacking about 20 years ago and I have been hooked ever since! We have hiked a lot of trail miles in the Sierra's and completed the JMT two years in a row. We also love the Sawtooths in Idaho. This year we are hitting the Colorado Trail in July and cannot wait! Hoping to also hit the Wind River Range one day.

I appreciate this community as the information is so helpful! Thank you everyone

*** We are headed up Piute pass on June 18 for a 50 miler - If I don't come back and post a TR, then you know it was death by mosquitoes!!!!
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

Hello!

Recently started planning my first backpacking trip and came
across this forum. Without this place, idk how well my planning could of gone
but I am thankful for all the knowledge I've acquired here from all the members.

Thank you! :thumbsup:
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Backpackingmom,

Welcome to HST!
*** We are headed up Piute pass on June 18 for a 50 miler - If I don't come back and
post a TR, then you know it was death by mosquitoes!!!!
Looking forward to your TR, just be prepared for those little blood sucking vampires, and
then you will have a great time in spite of them. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Welcome to both of you backpackingmom and thepreciselife. Hope you will find valuable info and share it as well! Good hiking!

backpackingmom, if you ever want any information on Uncompaghre NF, CO send me a PM. I hiked most all of it when I was a guide. Beautiful territory and some nice 14ers, technical and non.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Tom_H, It'd be pretty cool if you posted some of your past TR's on this forum.
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted

Post by phoenix2000 »

I've been a member of this forum and lurker for many years now. I've only posted 1-2 times but never posted a trip report.

I did a little backpacking in Scouts. I got back into backpacking after I graduated from college. My mother had remarried and my step father and step brother would take family and friends on an annual backpacking trip so naturally I went a long. My last 3 trips have been solo trips into the Kibbie Ridge area and I really like the challenge of both cross country travel and solo backpacking though it gets lonely at times. After reading trip reports on this forum I plan on going on another solo trip this year but to Emigrant Wilderness this time.

I wanted to thank everyone for their posts. I've gathered a wealth of knowledge from this forum. For instance

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3950&p=23498&hilit=+salt#p23498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; helped me solve the problem where towards the end of the 1st days hike on every trip I was feeling nauseas, dizzy, light headed and just basically terrible. Now I always carry at least 1 canteen full of Gatorade and on the 1st days hike I carry pretzels.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2168&p=13893&hilit= ... ing#p13893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; convinced me to buy some trekking poles and now my hands don't swell up after 1-2 hours of hiking.

Some of the other helpful items that I learned about via the forums are

Hammocks - now I sleep thru the night in my Clark Jungle Hammock, North American model instead of tossing and turning on the ground in a tent.
Convertible pants have helped me cut down on the amount of clothing I bring.
Sleeping bag liner makes it feel like I am sleeping in silk sheets instead of that awful feeling the sides of the sleeping bag give. Plus it's great to use at the start of the night when it's still too warm to get into my sleeping bag.
Esbit Stove - I don't like the idea of carrying liquid fuel so this works out great for my solo trips
Injinji Socks - Have little pouches for each toe that made the blister problem on my little toe go away
Spot Device - Needed something for my solo trips, satellite phone was too expensive and found out that you can rent a spot device.