TR: Sawtooths 2012: Goat Creek Forbidden Fruit

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

TR: Sawtooths 2012: Goat Creek Forbidden Fruit

Post by Eiprahs »

Prologue:

For some 2012 was the year of the dragon. For us, it was the year of the lawn chair. A huge success on our 2011Sawtooth trip, everyone wanted a lawn chair this year. Having bought new packs and a new tent, Susan and I were lighter, so lets carry lawn chairs!!

Joseph couldn’t attend, so it was Susan, Chris, and I on this year’s excursion thru Goat Creek, a destination intentionally removed from the standard guide book, but the primary access to top Sawtooth climbs. Despite the allure of forbidden fruit, we didn't decide on our destination until the morning we left. The Halstead Fire had been ravaging the Sawtooth NF north of Stanley, ID, and we were not anxious to repeat last year’s smoke out. Fate made our decision for us when a large fire broke near our back-up destination.

Leaving more or less early, we motored east, enjoying a smoke free trip punctuated with a stop in Emmett, ID to buy fishing tackle and non-resident fishing licenses. Smoke free until we made that big bend in US 75 North of Stanley. There a gigantic smoke column capped by a cumulus cloud boiled into the sky. In the distance two other columns rose.

As we drove South towards Stanley we passed firetruck and helicopter staging areas. Here and there across the meadows we could see fire backing down the hill sides. We passed the main fire camp just before entering town. Faced with such an apocalyptic scene, we did what anyone would do—pull into the pizza place for pizza and beer!

Biz had been lousy, the owner said—few tourists and the fire fighters were restricted to fire camp. A map on display showed the area the fire had burned each day since its start over a month earlier. Both the pizza and the beer were excellent!

It being dark by the time we left the pizzeria, we slid into the largest campground on Redfish Lake, empty save for 2 RVs. Everything smelled smoky. Chris and Susan spread out a tarp on the ground, while I opted for the picnic table itself. “Aren’t you afraid you’ll fall off?” Susan asks. “Nah” I say. “I won’t sleep well.” And between the moon and the pervasive smell of smoke, I don’t.

Link to map of trip:

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... ||line=off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Day 1. Redfish Lake to Alpine Lake. 5.4 trail miles.

Early Morning Confusion at the Campground

Boarding Redfish Lake Hiker Ferry

Anchors Away!

Those 4 Miles Were Easy!

Elephant's Perch

We made Alpine Lake in short order, but by the time we pumped water skies had clouded over and thunderstorms were in progress. Not anxious to cross an exposed high pass, we made Alpine Lake our first night's stop.

Day 2. Alpine Lake to Feather Lakes

Coffee???

Exit Trail At Third Switchback

Ascend Scree Slope Left of Low Point

The climber site says to stay left of rocks. Do we downclimb a few feet to get back on route or go for the rocks?

Rocks It Is

Above Rocks--Piece of Cake

The Scree Chute--Alpine Lake in Background

Top 'O Chute--Baron Lakes in Background

Descending to Warbonnet Lakes Packrat Peak (L), Mayan Temple (C)

Warbonnet Group (L) and Monte Verita (R) from Feather Lakes

Upper Bead Lake. Warbonnet Peak (L), Cirque Lake Peak (next), Silicon Tower (R)

Radek & Shirley here to climb Cirque Lake Peak

You can read their trip report plus their climbing adventures around the globe here:

http://chossclimbers.com/testing/us/ida ... /img_6326/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Panorama of Goat Creek

Feather Creek Cascade Mayan Temple

Cleaning The Cook Kit by Alpenglow

Snags by Moonlight

Orion Rising Out Of Packrat Pass

Day 3 Feather Lakes to Oreamnos Lake

We descended along the route we scouted yesterday.

Following the Right Crack

Crux Move

Blue Rock Lake Spire

Blue Rock Lake

Climbing Shoulder of Ridge

Rounding Shoulder on Good Rock

Crossing Talus

Message From God--I Started Laughing

Lunch In The Talus

Meadow At Willard Lake

Day 4. Day Hike to Three Lake

Oreamnos Lake At Dawn

Oreamnos Lake From South

Three Lake Panorama

Oreamnos Lake At Dusk

Day 5. Oreamnos Lake to Upper Redfish Lakes Via Reward Pass

Awesome Needle Above Packrat Lake

Leaving Packrat Lake at Cliff

Bench Above Packrat Lake, Needle on Backside Mt Underhill

More Talus--Aiming For Trees at Left

Reward Pass View--Upper Redfish Lake Is Goal

Reward Peak and Pass

Chris On Reward Peak

Lake Kathryn From Reward Peak

Halstead Fire From Reward Peak

Day 6. Upper Redfish Lakes to Redfish Lake Lodge

First Light At Upper Redfish Lake

Lady Of The Lake

Close Up--Just A Root

Easy Out

Elephant's Perch From Redfish Creek Trail

Sittin On The Dock Of The Bay

We arrive at the dock to find it unoccupied save for one solo day hiker. We gratefully pull the lawnchairs off our packs, and change out hiking boots for camp shoes. Ahhh!

We are joined by a couple, then several groups of day hikers, a guy in a Hawaiian shirt with two dogs and a friend, and a couple of climbers. Clearly we won’t all fit on the boat, and that is before we are joined by a family of four. The dad of the late comers introduces himself by demanding passage on the next boat, seeing as how he signed up for the equestrian tour and the boat is part of the package.

Well, we have lawn chairs, and are comfortable, so we offer to wait. The guy with two dogs says he can wait, too, as do a couple other folks, so our impetuous late-coming co-traveler, without so much as a ‘thank you’, gets his way.

The boat returns soon enough and, after boarding, we find out Mr. Hawaiian shirt is owner of the Redfish Lake Lodge, out showing his friend Elephant’s Perch. He tells us stories about climbing Elephant’s Perch and his other most favorite climbing venue, the Finger of Fate, and I’m almost sorry that the ferry ride ends.

We stop at the lodge to make dinner reservations, collect the car, drive the short distance to the hiker shower, and, for a mere $2, enjoy five minutes of heated liquid bliss. Spiffed up, with clean hair, fresh shaves, and clean clothes, we return to the lodge for an organic grass-fed tri-tip dinner with decent Idahoan cabernet and bread pudding for dessert.

That first re-contact with civilization back at the dock was rough, we agree, but civilization does have its perks. Please pass the wine.

Tomorrow we are off to Pinedale, WY, jumping off point for the Winds. But that is a different TR.

Halstead Fire Map

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 390618.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Sawtooths 2012: Goat Creek Forbidden Fruit

Post by austex »

:thumbsup: Love the pictures and the lawn chairs! I didn't know that Redfish had a water taxi... Only fished Bulltrout and never got to Redfish. Again, thanks for a perspective of a new opportunity!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Beautiful area, nice TR and photos, and........great lawn chairs!

Thanks for sharing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Another beautiful TR from that region. Thank you! Yeah, the lawn chair photo is
a classic. :) That ridge line above Oreamnos Lake is really cool, kind of reminds
me of our Sawtooth Range in northern Yosemite. Thanks for including the map. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

So, did you use the fishing gear?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Eiprahs »

Mike,

We did fish Oreamnos Lake, where we took a lay over day. A trip report I found describes Oreamnos as "stupid with fish", which it was--every cast you'd have a strike. :)

As we had ample food, fishing didn't have the hunger driven allure it had on the previous trip, so we did not fish the other lakes. They all held fish, tho.
Dave