3 day / 2 night Backpacking for beginners.

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 3 day / 2 night Backpacking for beginners.

Post by thepreciselife »

Yea, I doubt I won't want to do it again because I feel this one trip will be the first stepping
stone for a lot more trips I want to complete. Renting from REI would be convenient, IF the one
closest to me rented sleeping bags but it says they don't on their site. However I do plan on
renting a bear can from there to save me some time the morning of the trip, and possibly
some hiking sticks to relieve some pressure off my legs.

As for gear I have a 55L bag, and my gf will be carrying another smaller backpack.
The tent is (I think) a High Sierra 2 person tent, weighs about 5lbs.... overall
Im guessing i'll be at about 20-25lbs (need to weigh it all in my pack this weekend)

So I can take the trail to LLV then venture off to Hidden Lakes or any of the other areas
around there for a little more solitude?
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

So I can take the trail to LLV then venture off to Hidden Lakes or any of the other areas
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 4&actid=51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

maverick wrote:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 4&actid=51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woo! Permits are available, but when I look for it on the 2 maps of this area, I can't find LLV
http://www.recreation.gov/marketing/htm ... thLake.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.recreation.gov/marketing/htm ... igPine.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I went to Rec.gov and found it: Little Lakes Valley JM09

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

..........and, their are none available for that Friday.
So I called and asked about getting a permit the day of, but they said theyre not available til 11 and that of course will cause us to lose about 3hrs of hiking time for the day. Also, since theyre available from the day before, they might all be gone by the time I can go in there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

As someone here already pointed out, don't focus in on one area and feel bummed out that you can't get a permit. Look around a bit. There are hundreds of TR's on this site, and the Sierra is generally pretty regardless of where you end up.

Also, even if you have a 55L pack, do not feel compelled to make it heavy for a 3 day trip. You will just hate it.

I liked Mav's suggestion about renting gear until you figure out your longer term strategy. Gear costs, and good gear costs more!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Don't worry about when you can start, just score a permit, you can be at Hidden
Lake in a little over an hour from the trailhead.
Also don't forget 20 Lakes Basin out of Saddlebag Lake (just east of Tioga Pass),
a gorgeous place with numerous beautiful lakes and towering Mount Conness with
the pretty emerald green Conness Lakes under it. It is as easy to access as LLV, here
are some shots of that area: https://www.google.com/search?q=mount+c ... ch&imgdii=_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rlown wrote:
Gear costs, and good gear costs more!
Exactly, no sense spending several hundred dollars on a quality bag and pad until
your sure. I may be able to help you save a little money when your ready to
purchase (PM me when ready).

thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

Well if I can make it to that area that fast from the trail head do you
think it'd be worth the risk of trying to get a first come first serve permit that day?
Also, since its completely booked online, that prob means its going to kinda crowded that weekend.
So maybe I should look into another area, that one was very beautiful though but I am sure everything
in the Sierras is beautiful.

As for the weight, I def will not be trying to max out my bag, but I will be carrying more than my gf. haha

20 lakes thru Saddlebag looks nice too, but because of the resort in the area, and "lake" taxi,
I feel like it would def be more crowded than LLV.

Back to the drawing boards?
...or just stick to Chain Lakes haha
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Honestly I think you should wait another month (Aug), the last thing you want to
do is introduce yourselves to the Sierra/backpacking during the height of mosquito
season, it could be your first and last trip. I know many people who avoid mosquito
season, and plan their trip before or after. If you go in Aug, not only will you avoid
those little blood sucking vampires, but also have better chance to go at a time
when securing permits will not be as difficult, and the masses will not be out.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

An example from Chain lakes mid July 2010:
Chain Lks 2010 032.JPG
Note the coverage head to toe, the gloves and the headnet. June or August are better choices.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.