Leavitt Meadow TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Leavitt Meadow TR

Post by DriveFly44 »

We decided to take a trek up the West Walker as I've had it pegged on my to-do list for about 7 years. So, with the 3-day Memorial Day Weekend, we set out into the Hoover Wilderness to explore the river and area lakes. It actually began on Friday morning with a call from our realtor, indicating there was a must see property in Twain Harte. I landed a teaching gig in Sonora and my gal just graduated from nursing school, so we've decided to follow the call to the Sierra and make it our home. Loved the house, made an offer, then continued over Sonora Pass to the trailhead :)

Neither of us had been up the West Walker before and found it very scenic and a great way to kick off this year's backpacking adventures. Upon arrival at the first lake for a water and snack break, I broke out the fly rod and made a few casts. Luck was with me as the fish were pretty hungry that morning.

The action was excellent for about 45 minutes until the wind and sun exposure slowed the bite.

We continued up the trail and enjoyed the tumbling West Walker and the gorgeous groves of aspens.

I wish the fishing was as good as the river was beautiful, but it was not to be.

As we continued our trek, we came across several groups that had difficulty fording the river, which was our intention, and they had to turn back. We continued on up and ran into some other folks with Llamas, who cautioned us that the water was really high but took us over to the crossing spot. Perhaps it is my experience wading or my stupidity, but we went for it. It was actually a simple ford and Amanda did great........only dropped one expletive when her feet submerged in the icy cold water.

After across, we were on our way to explore some of the area's lakes.

It was a short but beautiful hike

We even had tower peak to keep us company

We settled into a camping spot near the lake and then decided to check out a few lookout points.......we had the place virtually to ourselves.

Fishing wasn't that bad either

With another week left in school, we had to get back to the valley so we hit the trail back to the car.

Another fun trip in the journal and can't wait for the next. We'll certainly be back and plan on exploring some of the other lakes and meadows of the Hoover Wilderness. Thanks for reading.

Ladd

P.S. Looks like we're moving to Twain Harte :thumbsup:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Leavitt Meadow TR

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pic's Ladd. Congratulations on the teaching gig and the new
home! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

That's a great area....and there are a lot more lakes to explore when you have some more time!

Did you close on the house? We have a cabin in Twain Harte. PM me for more info...

Welcome to the neighborhood...both here at in Twain Harte.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

Those are some beautiful fish. Great TR. Looking forward to our trip this summer. Last day of school is finally here :D We made it.
@aguabonita
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Thanks for the TR. Great photos. One request-it helps readers if you name the lakes, etc. People who are interested in planning a route can be more precise when trying to gather information from your TR.

Those who can teach; those who can't do something else. We are in the business of changing lives; we make a difference.
Last edited by Tom_H on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Actually, unless well known, fishermen don't like to name the lakes. If you see a TR that peaks your fishing interest, PM the original poster for more info. We've had that discussion for years on the fishing forum. Note that DriveFly44 has been here since '08.

Still a lovely TR.

Russ
Last edited by rlown on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

rlown wrote:Actually, unless well known, fishermen don't like to name the lakes. If you see a TR that peaks your fishing interest, PM the original poster for more info. We've had that discussion for years on the fishing forum.

Still a lovely TR.

Russ
This is the hiking/backpacking/camping forum, not the fishing forum.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

that discussion get's squishy. Still stand behind what i said. Let's not derail the nice TR.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I get your point, Russ. Perhaps this TR might better go under the fishing forum. I still stand by my point too-this is the backpacking forum and TRs can be helpful to those planning their own routes if the places in photos are named.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

A solid TR DriveFly44! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you caught it good, fishing wise. I'm heading up to that vicinity in a few weeks, so I hope the bite will still be on. I appreciate anonymity of locations, no matter which section the TR is posted. :)

It sounds like we have a bunch of teachers here on HST, four by my count so far, including me. The perfect job for having summers off for backpacking and fishing.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;