How packable is the Ursack aluminum liner?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BrendanM
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by BrendanM »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide on my method of food storage for hiking the Sierra High Route. We are starting at Road's End on June 26 and ending July 19 in Tuolumne (versus going all the way to Twin Lakes). It feels like a shame to lug around a heavy, rigid bear canister for 180 miles largely through wilderness that doesn't get crowds. That said, I understand the arguments and want to be ethical, particularly at the more populated points I must pass through.

I'm considering the Ursack with aluminum liner because I understand it to now be acceptable in all land management units along my route. However, the one question I can't find an answer to is this: how packable is the aluminum liner? If it is very rigid then I don't imagine it is much of an improvement over rigid canisters in terms of packability. Am I wrong? What have been other people's experiences with the aluminum liner?

Brendan
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I don't and won't use an ursack in the sierra, and canisters are mandatory in the Whitney zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cefire
Topix Regular

Re: How packable is the Ursack aluminum liner?

Post by cefire »

Yep, it is quite firm, at least in the ursack model I got a few years back. You really can't pack it down any - although you might be able to store it outside a pack...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

OP wrote:
I'm considering the Ursack with aluminum liner because I understand it to now be
acceptable in all land management units along my route.
AT wrote:
and canisters are mandatory in the Whitney zone.
Maybe you missed it AT, but OP wrote "along my route" which is the SHR, no where near
Whitney.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

When it comes to packing, the Ursack with the aluminum liner is essentially a hard shell canister unless you remove the liner and carry it separate from the Ursack, either flattened or wrapped around something like a sleeping bag. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Although it is somewhat lighter in weight the Ursack w/ liner doesn't have some of the positive features of the true hard shells: such as functioning as a stool, a wash tub, and a nearly worry-free protector of food.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Ursack is certified for Yosemite National Park, which is part of your trip.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Yes, I dyslexicize acronyms - and Yosemite and parts south are very bad bear areas. Some of the rangers I've spoken to describe needing bolt cutters to remove former Ursacks after a bear's been at it for a night. Taking it into Yosemite may result in a rather hefty fine as well as losing your food if a determined bear happens along.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

just buy a good can (not ursack yet until 100% approved) and deal with it. Saves the bears and saves your food.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

rlown wrote:just buy a good can (not ursack yet until 100% approved) and deal with it. Saves the bears and saves your food.
+1

Or rent a Bearikade. Ursack with the liner gives you 650 cu inches for 18 oz (36 cu in per oz) and the Bearikade Weekender gives you 650 cu inches for 31 oz (21 cu in per oz). For the price of the possible fine, you could even buy yourself a Bearikade.

Here's what's currently approved for Yosemite: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

The Ursack with the liner was slightly less packable than a Bearikade Weekender and a good bit less packable than a Bearikade Scout for me. I didn't like the combination of the Ursack and liner, but I still use the Ursack without the liner when I'm more worried about rodents than bears. I tend to use my Bearikade when I'm concerned with keeping my food from bears. I have a Bearikade Scout and a Weekender. Most of my trips are short; so the Scout gets used most often as I can fit at least four days of food in it. I like the smaller size of the Scout because it makes it easy to pack.
BrendanM
Topix Novice

Post by BrendanM »

Well you've all convinced me to ditch the Ursack idea! I'll look at getting either a Bearikade (if I can afford it) or a BearVault. Thanks guys,

Brendan