2014 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rokubota
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Duck Lake 5/25-5/30

Post by rokubota »

5/25-5/30 on Duck Pass and Duck Lake - did see some of them before the pass but none that bothered us. Did not see any once the pass begun, and none whatsoever at the Duck Lake.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: 2014 Mosquito Reports

Post by Rockchucker »

Trail Pass to Monachi 1 no mosquitoes but all the creeks and springs are very dry.
I'm no suture for my future.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mineral King 5/30-6/3

Post by dapperdave »

5/30 Mineral King to Little 5 lakes 1 (but 2 in the dip between Timber gap and Pinto Lakes)
5/31 Little 5 lakes to Moraine lake 1
6/1 Moraine lake to Rattlesnake canyon 1-2 (worst in lower Rattlesnake canyon)
6/2 Rattlesnake canyon to Franklin lake 1
6/3 Franklin lake to Mineral King 1
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Emigrant Wilderness 5/30-6/4

Post by Wandering Daisy »

5/30 -6/3 Emigrant Wilderness, Y-Meadow Lk, Toe Jam Lk, Iceland Lk, Ridge Lake (frozen) Upper Lewis Lake (frozen), Lewis Lake (frozen), Emigrant Lake, Buck Lake, Long Lake, Wire Lakes, Granite Lake. 8500-9500 ft elevations. 1-2 under light breezy conditions. Worst in obvious wet swampy locations.
6/4 Lots of baby skeets - aimlessly hovering, not biting. Really tiny guys. Pretty bad at the Gianelli trailhead.

Light frost every night except night of 6/3. 6/4 much warmer! I think the hatch is on!
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Twin Lake-Silliman Lake 6-7/6-8

Post by astrogerly »

6/7-8: Twin Lakes trail to Silliman Lakes area. 0-1 from the trailhead to just before Silliman Meadow. 2-3 from Silliman Meadow to the meadow just before the slabs up to Silliman Lakes. Very annoying little buggers.
KathyW
Founding Member

Sunrise to Half Dome

Post by KathyW »

Tenaya Lake (Sunrise Trail) to Forest Trail to JMT to Half Dome Trail - 3 (4 in the evening in some places next to the water).
JMT to Half Dome Trail - Bad along Sunrise Creek and Tenaya Lake later in the day. I sprayed myself with DEET.
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Cottonwood-Miter Basin 6/6-6/8

Post by Talimon »

Quick report on my phone, 6/6-6/8:

Horseshoe meadows campgrounds - 4 at dusk/dawn

Cottonwood pass trailhead to soldier lake - 1 (caveat is that it was windy)
Rock creek up into lower miter basin - 4-5 (BAD)
Sky blue lake/ upper Miter basin - 0/1. Was very windy, but even when it died nothing. No young ones even. Still some snow, but enough marshy areas I was surprised.
Trail up to New Army pass - 0/1. Again, was windy
Cottonwood lakes - 2 (a few flying, but no bites)

Overall, I would say there is another 10 days in this area before the swarm begins. Just rush through Rock creek! That area is already swarming.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Tablelands 6/7-6/8

Post by AlmostThere »

6/7 - 8

Tablelands/Moose Lake - 1-2, edging into a 3 until the breeze got going well.
Table Meadow and Pear Lake - 3
calipidder
Topix Regular

Bishop Pass-Dusy Basin 6/6-6/8

Post by calipidder »

6/6-8
South Lake to Bishop Pass: 1
Dusy Basin: 1

Backpacked in on Friday to Bishop Lakes (N side of Bishop Pass). Dayhiked over the Pass into Dusy Basin on Saturday. I went in armed with DEET and bug netting, but I can probably count the number of skeeters I saw all weekend on one hand. Still freezing at night and the fish are mighty skinny.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Horseshoe Meadow to Miter Basin 6/6 -6/8

Post by Ska-T »

Mosquito rating 0 to 1.

Hiking route was Horseshoe Meadow to Cottonwood Pass to Lower Soldier Lake to Rock Creek (east of Primrose Lake) to unnamed lakes WNW of Sky Blue Lake to Mt Pickering to Lower Soldier Lake to New Army Pass to South Fork Lakes to South Fork of Cottonwood Creek to Horseshoe Meadow.

Mosquitoes rated a 0 to 1 for the entire trip. No repellant used, no bites suffered. That said, we did not stay overnight at the Horseshoe Meadow trailhead parking area, and we did not hike along Rock Creek lower than just east of Primrose Lake.