parking at trailheads in kings canyon

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
phdoofus
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

parking at trailheads in kings canyon

Post by phdoofus »

Is there a limit to how long one can park at a trailhead in Kings Canyon? Just wondering if a couple of weeks is verboten or if it's ok as long as that's the length of your permit.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: parking at trailheads in kings canyon

Post by AlmostThere »

The length of your permit is fine.

Tho in Mineral King you will want to wrap up your car well to avoid having it eaten by marmots.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Though this is for Yosemite, would highly doubt it is any different for SEKI: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/thparking.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parking is available at or near most trailheads, and you can park your car for the
duration of your hike (unless otherwise posted).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
phdoofus
Topix Novice

Post by phdoofus »

maverick,
Yeah, I saw that too, thanks. I just like to be sure. :D
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Only way to be sure is to call 559-565-3341, between 8:15-4:15 to get a live person.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have parked at trailheads for weeks. I write a note and put it inside the windshield and beg the authorities not to tow my car! I also put a copy of my permit. I parked at the North Lake trailhead for three weeks when I did the High Route. The parking lot at Roads End is quite large. I do not think you will have any problems.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The Rangers run plate numbers and can see that you have a permit. When Derek and I got out of the Sierra last year during the Government shut down there was a note on his car saying how our permit listed us out on a certain date and that they would come to unlock the gate we were locked behind.