Preliminary thread for Dec 16-17 in Death Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I may be able to get "family leave" that weekend. And if you camp at Emigrant, this time I'll even be able to find you! :)
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

if you think you are goi ngto have trouble I can e-mail you a good map of area
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Seriously, I have Emigrant campground down cold. :) Thanks for the offer though!
wingding

Post by wingding »

Add me to the list for that weekend. I'd like to do Pinto or Tucki.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

OK, it's on my calendar.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Would the hike to Pinto Mountain start right at the campground? That sounds good to me.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Pinto sounds good. I'm not sure where to start. Tom- do we start in Jayhawker Canyon? It looks like from there it would be 9.3 miles to the peak (one way). Is that right? For some reason I thought it was a lot shorter of a hike. Is there another route?
I thought maybe we could do Panamint Dunes on another day, depending on time and when we are getting to and leaving from Death Valley. They look pretty cool. It's about 9.0 miles round trip to the tallest dune, but it doesn't look like real hard hiking or anything. Or maybe another time.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Hi all;

I had a few ideas about making sure we had this trip properly organized as well as maybe dividing up some of the responsibilities so as not to put everything on Snowy's (admittedly strong) shoulders. I emailed this to her and also brought it up with Trailtrekker.

The first thing we should make sure of is that there are no problems hooking up. Pick a first night/Sat. morning camp/meeting place that is easy to find and get too. If this is Emigrant campground this should be easy enough. Remember that there are only 10 sites there. Have everyone meet at that place either Friday night or Sat. morning. We should have direction to the campsite made up from all possible directions that people will be coming into the campground. Tomcat seems to have a good handle on that area, so Tomcat, if you don't mind, I nominate you for that task. You would also make up directions to the trailhead from there, print it out, and bring copies to leave at camp if someone shows up late! Trailtrekker has already agreed to take a count of people going on the trip like she did for Matlock; she did a great job! Snowy, Trailtrekker, Tomcat, etc. can post the suggestions/decisions on where we will meet/hike on both days, then sit back and see what everyone wants to do. The week before at the latest, make the decision. The week of the trip, someone who has just been to the desert and who is experienced in desert camping and hiking should post clothing, water, food, etc. requirements for those of us who are not used to hiking in the desert, particularly at this time of year. Do NOT assume people know what to bring!!! I will keep an eye on the weather forecasts and post updates and temps/rain reports, as needed. A few days before the weekend, get a vehicle count with licence plate numbers, so that we may be able to recognize others in the group even if they are asleep or arrive late; that way, if we see their vehicle, we will know they are out there. I will be willing to do this. The last point that I can think of at this time, post an approximate starting and ending time frame for each day's hikes. Anybody who arrives late after the main group arrives is to post a note stating their hiking goals for the day, if different from the group, and an estimated return time. This is to ensure their safety and the groups piece of mind!

There is a Ranger station near Emigrant Campground. We can use this for any last-minute postings or campground changes if necessary. Do NOT depend on your cell phones out here; plan with the idea that they will not work.

If anybody has any additional ideas, please post them. :nod:
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Trekker-
As far as clothing, I would bring a small variety of stuff but definately cold weather gear as it can get cold at night (we wore our down jackets). Last wknd the daytime weather was beautiful but it was still kind of cool at mid elevations (5000-6000) and colder in the shade by 10 degrees or so.(great hiking weather) Also rain gear, as usual, just in case.
I always bring drinking water as I usually don't stay at campgrounds, I am not sure about Emigrant CG, but I would bring water anyway.
For the most part, cell phones do NOT work there. I have Verizon and rarely get reception. I would definately NOT count on that to communicate. Walkie talkies can be helpful, though.
-TT
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'll probably just be along for the day hike on Saturday to Tucki or Pinto, so I'll be interested to find out where everyone is planning on starting on Saturday. I've been wanting to check out Panamint Dunes too, so I might head off to near Panamint Dunes area to camp on Saturday night (the morning light on sand dunes is usually pretty terrific).