Trip planning June 8-12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
yael
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip planning June 8-12

Post by yael »

Thanks everyone!!

Looks like the rest of my group tends towards Yosemite, and we will visit the Waterwheel Falls as suggested. On top of that, does any of you know what conditions should I expect at the 10 lakes area?According to a post I read here it doesn't look like I should encounter any problems, but I just want to make sure :)
manbartz
Topix Novice

Post by manbartz »

Sounds like your group made up your mind, but I still thought I would share some photos of an overnight trip(5/25-5/26) me and my girlfriend completed in SEKI on the Lakes Trail. The Watchtower is still closed, and from what I heard it is pretty sketchy. The Hump is the route we took, and it was pretty easy to find our way. The decent down to Heather Lake still had a good amount of snow on it, but manageable due to the reflective trail markers and an abundance of tracks to follow. We camped at Emerald. Sunday morning I took a short off trail day hike up through the cascades above Emerald to the ridge line that separates Emerald Lake and Pear Lake. Haven't never been to this area before, I was blown away by its beauty. Although the elevation is lower than some other popular locations throughout the Sierra, the prominence of Alta Peak and the surrounding ridges is truly awesome. See my photo's below (Taken on an old Galaxy S3)...

Emerald Lake, Looking up at Alta Peak

Alta Peak from the ridge separating Pear and Emerald

Pear Lake from the ridge separating Peak and Emerald
nikhilm
Topix Novice

Post by nikhilm »

yael wrote:Thanks everyone!!

Looks like the rest of my group tends towards Yosemite, and we will visit the Waterwheel Falls as suggested. On top of that, does any of you know what conditions should I expect at the 10 lakes area?According to a post I read here it doesn't look like I should encounter any problems, but I just want to make sure :)
Ten Lakes to May Lake would be a very relaxed 4 day trip, but you will definitely have a less sketchy experience than I did (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) :)
I think conditions will be perfect by the time you go.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

maverick wrote:Follow this creek up to Branigan Lake, skirt the lakes southern side, and visit
the southern chain of lakes on the bench above Lake Vernon, very pretty, and total
solitude. You descend down towards the southern end of Lake Vernon to hook up with
the trail which leads back to your campsite along Lake Vernon.

Do you mean this chain of lakes? I visited them last weekend. They are wooded, despite what topo map shows, with dark brown water. :(

Lake just east from point 7575T (click to enlarge):
DSC03629-DSC03631-lk-7575.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Tomba wrote:
They are wooded, despite what topo map shows, with dark brown water.
Really, last time there a small falls near the last lake had some great tasting, cool
water. :\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org