Echo Lakes Conditions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
skyehawk
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Echo Lakes Conditions?

Post by skyehawk »

Anybody have any information on the conditions in the Echo Lakes area/southeast desolation? Always eager for more photos/conditions reports. I assume Echo by now has completely thawed out, and that the boat taxi is running. How much snow is left? And how does snow amount this year compare to this time last year? Both were low snow years, this was just dry at the beginning and last was dry at the end.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Echo Lakes Conditions?

Post by maverick »

Hi Skyehawk,

Welcome to HST! Check out this TR: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10926&p=82563&hilit=DESO#p82563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also check: http://desowv.org/trail-conditions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

You can call this number for the local USFS office: (530) 543-2600 for info.
Press zero a couple times to speak with a live person.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
skyehawk
Topix Novice

Post by skyehawk »

Thanks guys, I've seen those links and will check out the number. I was more looking for first hand experience of how this year compares to last year snow-wise in that area, but thanks anyway.
mlskn_needed
Topix Novice

Post by mlskn_needed »

When we came out from Aloha on Monday the trail up to Haypress Meadows was mostly snow. The snow is melting fast, making snowbridges unstable. The trail from Echo to Haypress is clear and running with water from the snow melt - it made me appreciate all of the water bars that were built.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mlskn_needed,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for supplying that intell :thumbsup:. Will you be writing up
a TR or posting a backcountry conditions report here: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 34&t=10802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it would be very helpful to you fellow HST members. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Was just at Heather & Half Moon last weekend. TR here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's not Echo, but it should give you some idea of what to expect.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love