The Mother of All Road Trips

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

The Mother of All Road Trips

Post by mountaineer »

Well, probably not, but it was a good one. I just sent my slide film off to the lab so probably a couple of weeks before any pictures are available. Feel free to hijack this thread with your road trip stories. :)

Left Friday early from the central coast and stopped at the Black Planets, a bouldering area just south of Little Lake. Put in an hour there and then on to Tom's Place. Took a break there and then headed up to hike into Mono Pass...no snow anywhere to be found but the gate on the road was closed. Why? I have no idea. Instead, we(brother-in-law Tom) drove up to Convict Lake and hiked around the lake and up towards the base of Laurel Mtn. We then drove across Benton Crossing rd. to the Benton Crags for some more bouldering/photography and spent the night there. About 10-15 degrees that night.

Saturday we drove down through Benton and to the end of the Jeffrey Mine Rd.(about 5500' on the side of White Mountain Peak.) Hiked up to Black Eagle Camp at the Spark Plug Mine(7500') and kicked back for a while there. The trail is basically non-existent on the steep parts. In some spots one moment of inattention and you might go for the permament ride into the wild blue yonder(or the other place). We then hiked on up to the Upper Camp at 9000'(once again, route-finding is tricky due to non-existent trail) and explored the shafts and buildings there. Got back down to the car at dusk and drove into Bishop for a steak. Camped in the Buttermilks that night(about 18-20 degrees).

Sunday morning Tom left for home and I drove up to the Bristlecone Wilderness and hiked around. Drove back down to Big Pine and started out the Saline Valley rd. and then turned around after about 15 miles and drove to Panamint Springs via Lone Pine. Left Panamint Springs and drove to the Wild Rose area and looked around a bit. Then drove back down to the valley and around the east edge of the saline lake there, hoping to get a sunset shot but the storm clouds to the west covered up the sun. Continued on down through Trona and Ridgecrest and then to Red Rock Canyon state park on Hwy 14 to spend the night. Drove across 58 this morning to the Carrizo Plain NM and spent some time there with the camera. Absolutely spectacular! The raptors were all over the place. Continued on home after that.

Nearly 1100 miles.

Sorry for boring you to death. :)
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Bet its a lot colder up there since that storm left Monday. I've done the circum-Sierra road trip before too but in the spring. Lots of miles.

You mentioned going up into the bristlecone wilderness. I'm guessing you might be referring to driving up via Westgate Pass? If so, how far is the road open or have they gated it off? The 1km visible satellite is showing very little snow up there so far. With fair weather likely to hold for the next week it would be an excellent opportunity for shooting some Patriarch trees that only get good sunrise light at this time of year. ...David
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Not sure the status now after the storm but it was open all the way to the gate at the Barcroft Station with 4x4 recommended between Patriarch and the end of the road for some ice and snow patches. At least, that is what the sign at the entrance said. I just went as far as Schulman Grove and didn't see any snow.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Wow! 1100 miles! Now, that's a road trip!