TR: Long Canyon & 4 Lakes in Trinity Alps 5/27/14-5/28/14

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Long Canyon & 4 Lakes in Trinity Alps 5/27/14-5/28/14

Post by maiathebee »

Second solo trip ever. I hiked up Long Canyon and did the Four Lakes Loop, camping at Summit Lake and returning back down Long Canyon. Mostly this was a training trip (I'm hiking the High Sierra Trail in August), but it was beautiful! The first day was 8 miles and 4200 feet ascent, 400 feet descent, which I hiked in 5.5 hours, taking about an hour in breaks. The second day was 10 miles and 1800 feet ascent, 5600 feet descent, which I hiked in 6.5 hours, taking about 45 minutes in breaks. I thought about maybe going up Siligo either in the evening or the morning of the second day, but it was cold and windy both days and I've been up there before, so I skipped it this time.

Entering the wilderness about a mile in by snackronym, on Flickr

The first few miles are heavily forested by snackronym, on Flickr

The trail exits the forest and the views begin to open up to Gibson peak by snackronym, on Flickr

The trail follows the dramatic granite wall of Gibson before crossing the main stream in Long Canyon by snackronym, on Flickr

This area is at the confluence of many different types of rock, making it very colorful. by snackronym, on Flickr

The views are great atop Deer Pass. Siligo Peak and Deer Lake in the foregrund and the White Trinities in the background. by snackronym, on Flickr

Atop the saddle before Summit Lake. The orange peak on the left is Seven Up Peak. by snackronym, on Flickr

Summit Lake, my home for the night. Feeling pretty good about the time it took me to get here. I was on the trail at 10am and at Summit lake at 3:30pm. That's 8 miles and 4200 feet of elevation. by snackronym, on Flickr

Camp at Summit Lake. I had the lake entirely to myself. Actually, I had the whole loop to myself. After seeing a couple at the trailhead headed up like me, I passed a few parties leaving on the trail and then never saw another soul the whole trip. by snackronym, on Flickr

Sunset reflections at Summit Lake. by snackronym, on Flickr

The pass above Diamond Lake offers the first up close views of the White Trinities and Stuart Fork way below. by snackronym, on Flickr

Diamond Lake and the White Trinities. This spot was spectacular. by snackronym, on Flickr

White Trinities seen from the Four Lakes Loop between Diamond and Luella Lakes. by snackronym, on Flickr

Luella Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

Finally down to the Deer Creek Valley. To complete the loop, I've got to ascend that saddle way off in the distance. by snackronym, on Flickr

Deer Lake looking up at Deer Pass. I'm a little worried about those clouds, so I move quickly. by snackronym, on Flickr

But I can't stop taking pictures of this view. by snackronym, on Flickr

Unnamed peaks, Upper Siligo Meadow, and my feetsies. by snackronym, on Flickr

The view is great and always changing with the clouds casting shadows here and there. by snackronym, on Flickr

Headed across to Bee Tree Gap, the granite walls of Gibson loom above. by snackronym, on Flickr

At Bee Tree Gap. You can barely see Shasta in this photo off in the distance on the right. I'll get to look at this view for the whole way down until I enter the forest. by snackronym, on Flickr

Unnamed peaks to the south of Bee Tree Gap. by snackronym, on Flickr

Looking across at the granite of Gibson from the hanging meadow. by snackronym, on Flickr

Lots of this on the way down. It's a knee buster for sure! by snackronym, on Flickr

Yellow Lupine makes up for the lack of rocky peaks. by snackronym, on Flickr

And I'm back! by snackronym, on Flickr
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Long Canyon & 4 Lakes in Trinity Alps 5/27/14-5/28/14

Post by maverick »

Love that loop, surprised about the lack of people, but that is a good thing. Looks
like the wildflowers will be out in a few weeks. Thanks :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Re: TR: Long Canyon & 4 Lakes in Trinity Alps 5/27/14-5/28/14

Post by maiathebee »

maverick wrote:Love that loop, surprised about the lack of people, but that is a good thing. Looks
like the wildflowers will be out in a few weeks. Thanks :)
I think the lack of people was due to the fact that I hiked in on the Tuesday after Memorial Day. Everyone I saw was headed out!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

Thanks for the TR and great photos. What an awesome trail to have to yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk