Nelson Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
avaanderic
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Nelson Lake

Post by avaanderic »

Has anyone been to Nelson Lake leaving out of Elizabeth Lake area in Toulomne Meadows? How confusing is the use trail that leads to the lake? I don't want to be isolated; are there other backpackers there? What about bears? Would probably be going the first week of July.
Thanks,
Ava
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Nelson Lake

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't know that there is any use trail going to the lake. I was out there in September 2011 and I remember it being all cross country. It was fairly easy cross country also.

As for people you certainly are going to see little to no one just because it is off trail. I didn't see anyone at Nelson but I ran into 2 guys that were passing around the area twice over a couple days.

As for bears I'm sure it's the same you can expect for anywhere in the Sierra. There are bear everywhere. Nothing to worry about since you need a bear barrel in the area.

And as for being isolated what are you worried about? That normally is the appeal for most people getting out into the wilderness. Stepping outside your comfort zone makes trips that much more rewarding.

Nelson Lake:

I might be doing a trip back there in a week or two.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ava,

Welcome to HST! Here are two previous TR's to the Nelson Lake area that will give
you an idea on the topography.
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ake#p47643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... elson+lake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You could be alone even though this area does get some usage, and yes, there
are bears but if you keep a clean camp and store your food properly they will not
bother you. Mosquitoes may be a bigger issue so be prepared.
Also this might be an interesting read for you: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ing#p74277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Correct about mosquitoes. I went there early season and just sat inside my tent because mosquitoes were so thick outside. It is PRIME mosquito habitat! Went late season and no mosquitoes, but lake quite shrunken. It is worth the effort, but I would not go early season again.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

I was planning on hitting Nelson Lake next week, but maybe I should wait a few months...
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

The trail is absolutely obvious as you arrive at Lake Elizabeth...and it leads to a pass over the ridge that is also clear. Once over the ridge, the trail is easy to follow for about another mile or so...then just peters out. You should know how to read a map at that point, because you can easily see where the lake has to be, based on the other features on the map. Then it's just a question of heading in that direction.

Not many people go that way===we headed up beyond it to Reymann lake the next day, and an easy hike over to Tuolumne Pass.

Lots of mosquitoes--but that was also 2012--the perfect year for mosquitoes

We have a trip report and some other info on our website...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just a thought - 7 days and 11 lakes of fishing...some X-country.

Tenaya - (up old fisherman's trail to) Lower Cathedral - Upper Cathedral - Echo - Matthes - Nelson - Reymann - Fletcher - Upper Townsley & Hanging Basket - Evelyn and back down Rafferty to Tuolumne.
Mountainman who swims with trout
avaanderic
Topix Newbie

Post by avaanderic »

Thank you SO much, everyone, for all your very informative responses, links, and photos. I really appreciate it - and clearly I should wait until later in the season because of the mosquitoes.( In 2011 I ate many meals with a hood on due to the wild mosquitoes in the Blue Lake, Dingleberry Lake, Midnight Lake area on the East side.(in August)
Thanks again,
Ava
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I would plan on early to mid August. 2011 was a horrible year for mosquitoes due to the high water levels. Those photos I posted above where taken in September of that year and it's still green!

This year in August there shouldn't be any and if there is it should be very mild.