2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by maverick »

Hi James,

Welcome to HST!
Looking forward to meeting you at Wales, it should be a really fun experience, that whole
area is beautiful and there is so much to do.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Congrats on the end of your lurking days James. Welcome.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
bravefanla
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by bravefanla »

Maverick,
Just to confirm the Meet-up is 7/22-7/27 THIS YEAR....2014?
Bravevanla
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bravefania,

Yes, it looks like most everyone will be arriving on the 23rd or the 24th, staying
a day (overnight) and then moving on to there next location. A few, myself included
will arrive on the 23rd and stay 2-3 days. Are you considering attending it?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bravefanla
Topix Acquainted

Post by bravefanla »

Yes, but I'm wondering which trailhead to take. I live in Pasadena so I enter the Sierras from the East Side, usually Kearsarge Pass via the Onion Valley parking lot. But looking at the map I wonder if I should there is another starting point beside the Whitney Portal. Your thoughts and advice would be appreciate. Thanks
Bravefan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Shepherd Pass is the most direct, another would be to come from Horseshoe
area, which is what Jim and Hobbes are using, may want to contact them
about ride sharing. You could also use this as part of a longer hike, High Sierra
Trail from Cresent Meadow or Mineral King from the west.

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

bravefanla wrote:Yes, but I'm wondering which trailhead to take. I live in Pasadena so I enter the Sierras from the East Side, usually Kearsarge Pass via the Onion Valley parking lot. But looking at the map I wonder if I should there is another starting point beside the Whitney Portal. Your thoughts and advice would be appreciate. Thanks
Bravefan
By my calculations, it's 25 miles from Horseshoe, and 17 miles from Shepherd via Rockwell pass. Jim & I are (separately) hiking Horseshoe to Shepherd. The way I figure it (and I assume Jim is in agreement), for around $50-100 to shuttle a car, plus 8 more miles, you can pull off a great little mini-thru hike without the need to backtrack.

Alternatively, if you like going over Kearsarge, you could still cut over Rockwell (you can beeline it from Diamond mesa), and then return the same way down Shepherd. I've done that before - it was easy hiking out to Onion valley road along the dirt fire road from Symmes and catching a ride back up to the Onion TH.

The third alternative is going out of Portal, but that means dealing with the Whitney zone, which means in turn hanging out for a cancellation. However, you could leave out of Kearsarge, take a quick detour up to Wallace/Wales to say hi, then exit out of Portal. That's a bit of dunkshot - especially if you're solo - so there's no waiting around. In other words, you walk in, get your permit, and go.

That fits my style to a 'T'. So much so, that my son & I are doing that hike - sans the detour - in 4 weeks.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have a shortcut worked out from onion valley to the northside of forrester in a fairly easy day. Easy is all realative I guess. It involves first a class 3 pass, then a traverse over car sized boulders to a sand slog ascent to university shoulder, to a 1600ft descent with tricky routefinding to avoid cliffs. It is a moderately difficult cross country route, but not highly strenuous, and the setting is spectacular.

I dont know if I can go or not. I wont know until the week I leave. I figure I will throw this out there if anyone is looking for an interesting way to the meet via onion valley. I may shine that whole deal and just use russle/carillon col.
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

SHEPHERD PASS: HEADS UP!

Saw an advisory on the NPS SEKI website (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):

"A flash flood has created several gullies 20-30 ft. deep with near-vertical faces along the trail between Mahogany Flat and the Pothole on the east side (Inyo NF) side of Shepherd Pass. Symmes Creek near the eastern end of the trail is also scoured out...in places up to 50-60 ft wide and 20 ft deep. Hikers attempting to cross the gullies are at risk of dislodging rocks and causing severe injuries." :eek:
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Steve,
Yep, after the reports from last summer and some of the impressive photos right after the storm, I was wondering whether it was still a bit of a mess up there. Guess so!
cg