TR: Glen Alpine to Heather and Half Moon Lakes 5/23/14-5/25/

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Glen Alpine to Heather and Half Moon Lakes 5/23/14-5/25/

Post by maiathebee »

We headed out the Glen Alpine Trailhead with plans to visit Lake Aloha and come back down the Tamarack Trail by Lily Lake, but got stopped by too much snow for our group. I was taking some people who haven't backpacked much (lots of car camping though) and who haven't really done much in the Sierras---we were slow and didn't cover that much ground, but we had a great time anyway!

We camped at Heather Lake, making our first day pretty short and easy (about 5 miles, 1400 feet elevation). The next day, we split at Susie Lake with two of our group heading back down to take care of some things at home while my friend and I headed out to Half Moon Lake. Another easy day at 4.5 miles (including about 0.5 off trail) and about 500 feet elevation. The next morning, we crossed Half Moon's outlet stream to explore Alta Morris Lake before heading back to the car. (7 miles, about 1 mile off trail).

Heading up Glen Alpine Trail by snackronym, on Flickr

Miranda and Sarah enjoy the view by snackronym, on Flickr

Susie Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

Snowfields on the west shore of Susie by snackronym, on Flickr

A first view of Heather Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

Heather Lake has some ice on it. The peaks of the Crystal Range behind are still blanketed in snow. by snackronym, on Flickr

Sunrise at Heather Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

Allie and Miranda enjoy the alpenglow on the Crystal Range at Heather Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

This marmot chewed off my sternum strap in the night and ran away with it! by snackronym, on Flickr

View from the trail to Half Moon Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

Alpenglow at Half Moon Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

Half Moon Lake in the morning by snackronym, on Flickr

Alta Morris Lake and the waterfalls that tumble down from Jack's and Dick's snowfields. by snackronym, on Flickr

Me at Alta Morris Lake by snackronym, on Flickr

Saying goodbye to the Crystal Range and Jack's Peak as we head down to the Glen Alpine Trailhead. by snackronym, on Flickr
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Glen Alpine to Heather and Half Moon Lakes 5/23/14-5/25/

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and all the wonderful pictures! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Awesome photos! Always love seeing my old stomping grounds. Heather doesn't have many flat and level areas; where did you camp?

TahoeJeff was up there recently and gave a TR. He couldn't see Half Moon, but in a reply predicted it was still iced over, given its altitude and the fact that it's in a cirque. It's amazing that it's already melted.

Thanks for the TR! Now you have me ready to hit the trail.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Another great Deso report! Heather looks just right for ice out fishing. I was early by a week...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

Beautiful shots. I had a LX-3 a few years ago too, but it fell into a creek. Now, I'm starting to think I might want one again, but I suppose one would have to buy the newer model.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thanks for posting. The lakes look wonderful. How were the mosquitos?
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks everyone!
Tom_H wrote:Heather doesn't have many flat and level areas; where did you camp?
We camped at an established site on the northwest side of the lake. The tent location was within 100 feet of the lake (sadly), but we were careful about doing dishes / our business farther up the hill.
paula53 wrote:Thanks for posting. The lakes look wonderful. How were the mosquitos?
The mosquitos were not a problem at all. There were some around in the morning at Half Moon, but they weren't biting us.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Wow, beautiful pics !!! thanks for sharing
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

maverick wrote: ....all the wonderful pictures! :)
Tom_H wrote:Awesome photos!
KathyW wrote:Beautiful shots.
justm wrote:Wow, beautiful pics !!!
Maia,

As others have shared...GREAT PHOTOS!! I really like "Half Moon Lake in the morning". That shot with Jacks Peak in the background is beautiful.

I wish I could take photos like that but I'm lucky to take a picture that doesn't have my finger in the way. :D :D

Thanks for this great report! It is reports like this one and your recent report on the Trinity Alps that make this site such a great place to visit. Keep up the good work. It is truly appreciated.

:D :nod: :D :nod: :D

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks Russ!!! I plan to post a LOT of trip reports this summer... I just got tenure (as a professor at a small college) and hope to spend most of my summer nights in the mountains, training for the High Sierra Trail in August followed by a trip to Glacier NP in the fall. Hope y'all don't get sick of me!! :unibrow: :wink: