I have a rookie question...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

I have a rookie question...

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

I was looking on the recreation.gov website trying to get permits for backpacking and hiking, while I have been able to find day hike permits for Whitney. I cant seem to find the day hike permits for some of the other popular trails, like bishop pass, or Keysarge pass, or Cottonwood Lakes. I can find the overnight passes, the cross country passes, the visiting Whitney passes and the exiting Whitney passes...

I -do- need a pass to day hike the other trails right?

I am like 99% sure that I do, but I don't know where to find them, or do I just walk into the inter-agency center and ask for them there?

--Chris
----
Everyone has a happy place.
Mine is Tulainyo Lake at Sunset.
I do hope to make it back there one day.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I have a rookie question...

Post by dapperdave »

The Whitney zone is the only one that needs permits for day use.

Dave
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I have a rookie question...

Post by AlmostThere »

Mt Whitney and Half Dome need permits for day hiking. Desolation Wilderness needs permits for day hikes as well but there are no reservations or quotas for it.

There are other highly impacted areas under consideration for day hiking permits, but those are the only ones in California so far AFAIK.