Route planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
uclacody0908
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Route planning

Post by uclacody0908 »

Super cool thanks maverick and sparky! This will definitely be a learning experience for me. Might not hit all my goals but I am sure I will come back with more knowledge and a great story to tell. Can't wait to get out there!
uclacody0908
Topix Novice

Post by uclacody0908 »

Well, here is my plan using caltopo (thx again Teresa). Still have a couple question marks about the creek crossings and way down to Vernon, but if I have to reroute once I am out there than no big deal.
Anyway thanks again to everyone for the help and let me know what you think.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=747V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Looks good, hope you can get thru that narrow section of the trail that is west of
Jack Main Canyon, have been thru there during the early season when the trail
had transformed into a raging creek, though that was in a heavier snow year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Look at earlier comment by maverick about no crossing Falls Creek above Vernon. I think that before mid June crossing falls creek will be foolhardy. Falls creek even in dry years is a combination of deep glides an steep falls with few safe crossings. Strongly suggest out and back to brannigan or hit lakes w of Jack Main Canyon. You will find either trip plenty challenging.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

This route crosses Falls Creek near Andrews Lake. Will this work early June? Perhaps the bridge near Wilma lake could be used, but that's much further.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

What bridge? New since 2011?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

I easily crossed the creek near Wilma Lk. in fall 2010, but I don't remember whether there was a bridge. I checked Google satellite view, and it seems to show a bridge there:
wilma.jpg
OK, I found this picture from that trip near Wilma Lk.
IMG_2383.JPG
Perhaps there was no bridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

The bridge was across the outlet of Wilmer. As I recall the earliest maps had Wilmer as the name and sometime in the 30's name changed on maps to Wilma. The creek will be much higher than your pics. That part of the Sierra got much more snow than most of the Sierra this winter.

Mike
Mike

sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have crossed falls creek in early june of a heavy snow year, but I would never repeat that. Chest high with quicksand :eek:

I then had to cross again because one of my partners was too short, and the other rightly thought I was an idiot.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Spark wrote:
I then had to cross again because one of my partners was too short, and the other
rightly thought I was an idiot.
:lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org