Opinons on Bear Grylls Native Series 0-Degree Sleeping Bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

When I said car camping, I meant drive in and setup. Here's my setup from the weekend before last.

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Opinons on Bear Grylls Native Series 0-Degree Sleeping Bag

Post by rlown »

if you change your img tags to rimg tags, we might be able to see the whole setup w/o opening it up.

Thanks for sharing it though. what does your complete hammock setup weigh? including slings, bag, etc..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Those are cargo straps and that looks like a Lawson. I would guesstimate 7-8 pounds without insulation for the whole works.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i'm not sure then why you think you need a 0 degree bag. Drive-in/camp would mean warmer temps, and i don't see snow on the ground. back to the 15 degree bag recommendation, or quilt given the hammock thing.

If you plan to backpack with it, that's a different discussion, obviously.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If it were an honest to goodness 0 degree, or in the case of the original bag he's trying to replace, an honest to goodness 32 degree, it would quickly be left at home and he'd be doing the opposite - what bags don't make me sweat like crazy??? Get the bag somewhere other than Walmart and that is more likely to happen....
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

AlmostThere wrote:Those are cargo straps and that looks like a Lawson. I would guesstimate 7-8 pounds without insulation for the whole works.
Good eye! You guys know your stuff. I used cargo straps on that trip, but usually I use ropes if backpacking. I know ropes are a hanging faux-pas, which is why I try and use straps when I can. The Lawson weights about 4.5 lbs.

Anyway, I appreciate the info on the synthetic insulation in the Bear Grylls and have since decided to go a different direction. Even though initially I didn't want to spend a lot of money, I think I'll be happier in the long run if I invest in a good bag.

I stumbled across the Sierra Designs Backcountry (600 fill 3-season) last night and the zipperless design is intriguing to me. Personally, I have a hard time zipping all the way up in the confined space of my mummy bag. I also toss and turn a lot at night and many times wake up with the bag in some cockamamy configuration. So here's something I can just kinda wrap around into place. When it's cold I'll sleep with my fleece jacket on top of me and kinda of wrap it around my torso similar to this.

REI is having their annual sale this weekend so the timing is perfect. I'm going to go there and check it out. I also need to decide if a regular will do or if I'm going to need a long, I'm 5'11".
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Brien,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org