Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

Hi Ofuros,

Welcome to HST! Your our second member who is from the land down under, very cool.
It would be a real treat if you could share some TR's, with pictures, of your treks
in Tasmania and/or Australia in our "Beyond The Sierra Neveda" section at the bottom
of the page. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ofuros
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ofuros »

Thanks for the welcome Maverick.
I'll see if I can rustle up a trip report or two about the Land Down Under. :wink:
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bravefanla
Topix Acquainted

Re: Long-Time Lurker Posting per Maverick

Post by bravefanla »

Hi fellow HST'rs. Let me begin by saying I LOVE this site and visit it often to get TR's. I have hiked the Sierras and the Rockies and won't get into the argument of which is better but will say that they are both wonderful places to hike and awe-inspiring.
With a wife, two children and work I find it hard to take long, 2 to 3 week trips (and I envy those that do) most of my trips tend to be 3-6 days in length. After years of trying various entry points I have decided that I like Kearsarge Pass because of the ease in getting to it (I live in Pasadena) and the wide array of Eastern Sierra destinations it provides.
A lot has changed in the 20 years that I've been hiking, especially with the weight I carry on my back. Long gone are the days of my 60 pound pack that was over-stuffed with things I NEVER used. While I'm not an ultra-lighter (I do like a few comforts) I now hit the trail with 22-26 pounds, including water weight, which my knees greatly appreciate!!
I usually go with 1 or 2 good friends who enjoy the Sierras as much as I do and we center our trips around fishing, both fly and lure. Some favorite destinations are Lake Reflection and East Lake as well as Long Lake and 60 Lakes Basin. I've done the Rae Lakes Loop (both ways), Whitney numerous times with a memorable trip up the backside that included a great night at Guitar Lake before the next days summit.
I'm interested in the "Meet up" because it would give me a chance to put faces to some of the names that I've seen for the past few years.
To the creators of this site.......THANK YOU!!
Kevin aka (bravefanla)
PS. I try and use the link-thru when I visit my favorite sites. What a great too!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Kevin,

You would be very welcome to join us at our HST Meet-up in Wallace! Rockies or
Sierra, there are both beautiful, and any TR's (photo's) you could post of your
adventures in the Rockies would be highly appreciated in the "Beyond The Sierra"
section at the bottom of the page. ;)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bravefanla
Topix Acquainted

Re: Rockies Pics

Post by bravefanla »

Hi Maverick,
I'll have to look in the way back machine to find pics from my Rockies hikes, which might be pre-digital. As to the meet-up I'm looking at my work schedule to see if I can pull off a way to get there for 1 or 2 days. Thanks for responding. Again, great site.
Kevin
jabseattle
Topix Newbie

Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by jabseattle »

Hi, I confess I have been a lurker for a few months maybe more. I grew up in the Bay Area and mostly did the drive up camp/hiking up off Hwy 88. Moved to Seattle discovered my passion for fly fishing and backpacking in the Cascades. Unfortunately, I spent very little time in the Olympics. Now married with girls 3 and 7. I'm starting to slowly see some light for some more backpacking/fishing trips. I'm also now in the SoCal desert and the Sierra has been whispering my name since I fished the Bishop area in November. I consider myself a fly fisherman(though I will gear fish where needed) that backpacks for the love of the outdoors, exercise and get to where I need to for fishing. Scenery is an added bonus! Most backpacking I've done was up to class II and cross country passes. Pretty much whatever I have to do to get where I want to fish.
This site has been a tremendous resource. I've enjoyed reading many TR's. Especially those that seem very dialed into the fishing in the Sierra. My list of hikes,lakes and streams for destinations in the Sierra has grown so long I doubt I will be able to hit them all. Though if I don't retreat back to the Pacific Northwest in a few years I'm sure going to try my best. I've spent countless hours on google earth, a few other maps and usually check this forum nightly. Heck if I wasn't going to be in the PNW during the HST meet up I would probably be there.

Again, thank you for the incredible resource this forum provides and to the members sharing their wealth of knowledge and photography. I hope to contribute when and where I can.
Jared

Sent from my iPhone
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jared,

Big welcome back to the Sierra, and HST! Hope you get many fishing trips under your
belt, and also have an opportunity to get your girls interested in camping/backpacking,
fishing, and nature itself. :)

marymaryland
Topix Novice

Post by marymaryland »

ibSteve wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys! Actually, Marymaryland and we have something else in common - UC Davis. My wife got her BS there before moving to the East Coast. (Mary obviously got the direction - east to west - right whereas we are still trying to work that part out!!)
My family might disagree with you, ibSteve, but I'm pretty happy to have landed here :cool: Nice to meet you!
Laserjet3051
Topix Novice

Post by Laserjet3051 »

Greetings:

Just want to introduce myself here. I've been an avid, hiker, backpacker, mountain biker, and skier of the Sierra for some 20 odd years. Spanning areas as far south as Mountain Home State Forest and as far north as Lassen. Many eastern approaches over the years, but I have to say the Western approaches are my favorite, I really dig getting caught up in thick dense forest going cross-country through undulating terrain.

For the past 5 or so years, I have mostly lurked on HST, but do reach out for advice and post on rare occasion. I'm very thankful for this site as it has been instrumental in my trip planning for both eastern and western approaches to backpacking the Sierra. After a failed attempt out of North Lake (Bishop) last year due to a last minute medical emergency at the TH, my daughter and I will retry this route on July 2 this year. Hopefully at such time, there will still be some good snow melt keeping things from being bone dry, yet not so much snow, to keep us from our high elevation goals.

:p

Howard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hello Howard,

Thanks for the intro, and welcome to HST! Hope to read some TR's of your adventures
this season.