Opinons on Bear Grylls Native Series 0-Degree Sleeping Bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

Last year I purchased the Ozark Trail 32-degree sleeping bag largely based on the positive reviews in another forum. Even though it's a nice bag, I still find myself a little chilly on those 40-degree nights. So I'd like to get a 0-degree bag.

I saw the Bear Grylls 0-degree bag (synthetic) on Walmart for $81. I was wondering if anyone on here has one and how they like it. Obviously my main concern is the bag's construction.

paula53
Topix Regular

Re: Opinons on Bear Grylls Native Series 0-Degree Sleeping Bag

Post by paula53 »

That is not a winter bag. Please check the bags review on line. Expect to pay over $350 for a decent 10 to 0 degree bag. Check Sierra Trading Post for discounts on discontinued and discounted bags. Good bags are EN rated for temperature. Otherwise a manufacture can put any degree on a cheap bag, buyer beware.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

My main concern is whether the bag is warm enough.

I've had enough cheap bags to know that anything from Walmart, Big Five, etc is just going to be disappointing. If you want an accurately rated bag, you will pay for it.

If you're car camping, don't care about bulk, and are ok with bags that you'll never fit in a backpack, go for it. Don't throw away the old bag, one or the other will be huge enough to insert the other, doubling up on your insulation and perhaps even approaching the rating on the bag.

I note there is a down version - it's actually heavier and bulkier than the synthetic version. Four pounds for a 650 fp down bag???? The Marmot NeverWinter is a 650 fp down bag, 0F, EN rated for women as comfortable to 17F and men down to 11F, and I picked up one a couple years back for $120 from Sierra Trading Post - a FAR better choice - 3 lbs and comes in long and regular. I sold it this year and bought a 0 degree 800+ fp down quilt that weighs 22 oz - and I am in no way doubting that it is true to rating. I guarantee that you will never get one of these (custom) quilts for $80, but on the other hand, I know that I will if forced to stop backpacking tomorrow be able to sell it for nearly what I paid - I had to give away the cheap bags I used to have.

Not saying that you should give up on cheap gear - just noting that the equation can vary, depending on your priorities.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Are you mainly going to use it for camping or backpacking? What areas do you mainly
backpack? What elevations do you mainly camp at? Which months? If Sierra, then a
down would better suit your needs, if the Pacific Northwest then a synthetic bag
may make more sense. Going from 32F to 0F is a big drop, something in the teens may
work just as well, cost less and weight less. If your a very cold sleeper then maybe a 0F
but it seems to be an overkill. As backpackers one of our most important piece of gear
is our sleeping bags, our lives may depend on its performance, and personally I would
not trust my life on a sleeping with no solid proven track record.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

Thanks for the feedback! I should have mentioned this will primarily be used for car camping, so weight isn't so much of a concern. I am also a fair weather camper so don't anticipate camping in wet or cold weather.

I'll take a look at some of the suggestions. I'm in no rush and want to find the right bag at the right price.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If car camping why not just us a comforter to increase the temperature rating of
your bag when needed instead of spending money on a new bag? What kind of
sleeping mattress are you using, it could be the culprit?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you are using an uninsulated air mattress, get blue foam pads to throw on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

I sleep in a hammock and have a synthetic underquilt, which helps a lot. But the current bag just isn't cutting it. I prefer a mummy bag as I think it maintains the heat better.
Last edited by Brien on Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Brien wrote:I sleep in a hammock and have a synthetic underquilt, which helps a lot. But the current bag just isn't cutting it. I prefer a bag as I think it maintains the heat better.
15 degree is usually the norm for Sierra comfort, but then you're in a hammock.

More money, better bag.

Not a fan of Bear Grylls, so i don't care about his stuff, but you could try out other bags (more buxx) and probably be happier.

Can someone post a pic of a hammock setup? AT?

I was confused by your statement that your'e car camping and in a hammock, Brien.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Brien wrote:I sleep in a hammock and have a synthetic underquilt, which helps a lot. But the current bag just isn't cutting it. I prefer a bag as I think it maintains the heat better.
I have gone all quilt - all the time. Since a quilt has less material and no zipper, it tucks in better, and therefore I am not heating up a great big air space, but just the quilt - and so I experience none of the feared heat loss people fret about. I've discovered that even though I frequently move in my sleep (why I prefer a hammock and underquilt) I only wake up when I have to pee - not because suddenly I'm cold.

On a pad on the ground, sometimes I shift and a gap forms, but it's when I wake up to roll on the other side, and tucking in takes a minute and I'm warm again and sleep soundly another few hours until my shoulder demands a switch.

I would not even try that bag of yours in a hammock. I have a similar one, a synthetic Wenger with the awesome rating of 5 - 50 F (in practice, a 40 degree at best - would never trust it to 30).

Last weekend, my 22 oz three season quilt was toasty as the water in my dog's dish froze. I was cowboy camping on a NeoAir, wearing a wool cap, a light baselayer, my wool Buff as a neck gaiter and Thorlo socks. I love my down gear.