TR- Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

TR- Yosemite

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This was my annual "conditioning" backpack, scheduled for 4 days, done in 3. I had been on the route before may times, only doing the logistics a bit differently this time. I also was trying to learn how to use my camera on manual settings. Unintentional camera settings resulted in some poor color in the photos, so I am showing some in B&W.

I drove to Glacier Point and was on the trail at 11:30 on May 14, quickly traveling on the Panorama Trail and reaching Little Yosemite Valley campground at 3PM. I am not fond of this campground, so continued to a lovely camp spot above Bunnell Falls. I had gone 11 miles, + 1350 feet in 6 hours and ready for the rest. The Merced River was not as spectacular this year as it was previously in a high snow year.

I got up early and slowly headed out. My muscles were stiff and energy level low after not sleeping well in the full moonlight! I dropped my pack at Echo Valley and hiked up to Merced Lake, checking out the high Sierra camp. Merced Lake is not particularly scenic and the large established "lodge" had not yet been put up in its unimpressive location. I met a group of young fellows who had tried to get to Volgalsang Lake and were stopped by deep snow. Then I took the cross trail to the JMT stopping at the small lake and peeking over the edge of the large dome seeing my previous campsite below. It was really hot as I slowly continued to camp on Sunrise Creek at the trail junction to Clouds Rest. The 11.5 miles, 2075 feet gain had taken me 9 hours with my slow pace and exploring.

Again I arose early and headed up the trail to Clouds Rest reaching the top at 9AM and enjoyed the view for half an hour. I returned and packed up, leaving at noon. My downhill muscles were now horribly sore, and with old knees, I barely crept down the trail. The heat was intense so I rinsed my shirt in the Merced River so I would have some air-conditioning. Going down the Mist Trail, I stopped a lot to take tons of photos, trying several different camera settings. I finally reached Happy Isles at 5:30, walked to Curry Village since I just missed the bus, and bought a beer. Then I walked to the Backpacker's Campground, with just enough daylight to set up and cook dinner. Mosquitoes were pesky. This day was 14.5 miles, +2795 and -6020 feet and with all the stopping, it took 11 hours.

Next morning everyone at the campground was up by 6AM. I caught the first bus at 7:20 and got off at Camp 4 bus stop. I crossed the valley floor on the swinging bridge and headed up the Four Mile Trail. Thankfully it was cool in the shadows. Unfortunately the high overcast skies made for poor lighting and in addition to my learning camera settings, I did not get good photos. I stopped lots and took tons of bad photos! Everyone passed me! I reached Glacier Point at noon and took obligatory tourist photos and then drove down to the Valley, taking a few more tourist photos. This day was 5.7 miles +3200 feet in 5.5 hours. Then I drove home arriving in time for dinner.

Photos from the trip in next post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR- Yosemite

Post by cgundersen »

Hi daisy,
Pesky mosquitos already; hmmm. It could get more than pesky soon, unless the predicted storms this week delay the bloom. Are you going to be spending more time in the Sierra, or are the Winds up next?
Cameron
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was surprised at the dry conditions and low levels of the Merced River. I suspected that there would be mosquitoes in the valley so I took my tent instead of bivy and was thankful for that!

A couple of more Sierra trips (in between babysitting grandkids) and then I am off to the Wind Rivers for two months. They have about 150% snowpack this year. Hopefully the Sierra will not be burned up when I return in September so I can do a few more trips! More babysitting - but may take the two grandkids (age 4 and 6) on a short backpack.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks WD for the TR and pretty photo's, sorry to read about about your camera
setting mix-up. The waterfall below Merced Lake photo is quite telling of the low
water conditions. :\
Will the above average snow fall in the Winds equate to a nasty mosquito season?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

WD, thanks for posting the pictures. Spectacular. I want to head out to the high country in TM before mid June. I think this year I will make it. Enjoy yourself in the Winds!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the B&W photos ! Ansel Adams-esque :)
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR- Yosemite

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for posting your photos! Beautiful shots:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Beautiful pictures Daisy!!