TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

Post by jimmeans »

I hiked up the South Fork of Cottonwood Creek to the South Fork Lakes area on 5/10/2014. My initial plan was to camp overnight to test out my new backpacking goodies, but the wind conditions made me decide to return that afternoon turning the trip into a day hike with full pack. I found virtually no snow along most of the route. The only snowfield that I encountered was near the junction of the old South Fork trail and the trail coming from the North Fork, and that snowfield was easily bypassed. I knew of the wind forecasts and hoped to find refuge at Cirque Lake, but I encountered other hikers coming from Cirque Lake who said the wind conditions were just as bad there.
P1000081.png
P1000083.png
P1000086.png
P1000091.png
These last two photos are a demonstration of the zoom capabilities of my new Panasonic DMC-ZS40.
P1000097.png
P1000098.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures of the area. It seems the windy conditions affected
everyone who was out this past weekend.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

It's nice to hear that I wasn't alone out in the wind. It wasn't bad until after 2 pm where I was, but then it just started blowing like crazy. I went from a t-shirt to a puffy jacket in no time at all.

Thanks for the photos and report!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

Jim,

Thanks for the report. I really like the picture of Langley!

I climbed Mt. Ralston in Deso that same day and the wind was howling up north as well!

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Jim,
Great insight into how things look out there;! I had to delay my first trip into early June, because of work issues, but with the snow forecast for next week, I'm hoping that the bug bloom will ease off a bit. I'm guessing there will be a few more reports over the next couple weeks as more folks venture into the low-snow backcountry. Obviously, the tracks over NAP indicate that the surge has begun. Thanks for the report.
cg