Southeast Deso

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Southeast Deso

Post by TahoeJeff »

I was dying to see if my favorite lakes in Deso were open for business. I took off from the Glen Alpine trailhead. There is a fair amount of water on the trail. Here is a nice trailside waterfall:

The snow started just below where the trail crosses Glen Alpine creek. It was about half dry and half snow from there to Gilmore. I uttered a few choice words as I spied the lake:

There would be no fishing for me at Gilmore. The ice was slushy but still pretty thick:

I went southwest from the lake to where the PCT heads over Dick's pass. Looking over at Suzie:

I figured if Suzie was pretty much thawed out there was hope for Heather. The hike down went quick and the trail was pretty much dry. Getting over the logs at the outlet of Suzie was easy but the trail on the west shore of Suzie had some deep mushy snow soaking my boots. I made it to Heather and let out more choice words:

There was a small piece of open water I half heartedly threw a couple of lure in to:

I gave that up after about 15 minutes as I knew nothing was going to happen. I resolved myself to a speedy but wet footed hike down. Suzie was fishable, but since I've caught plenty of 8" brookies in my life, I passed. Grass was probably wide open, but I didn't have it in me to hit it. I doubt Gilmore and/or Heather will be open next weekend as it is supposed to cool back off next week.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Southeast Deso

Post by giantbrookie »

Interesting post. This brings home the point that even in after a light winter one needs to be aware that these lakes will generally not be ice free until at least late May (I can recall some issues on Memorial Day weekend of certain dry years of the past). I recall taking a super early shot at things in early May back in the late 80's. I headed straight to Heather and found the lake exactly as you did. I did in fact get a follow from a pretty nice fish (actually looked like a rainbow) in that little thawed spot at the outlet, but otherwise I struck out. I had open water at Susie and nothing hit.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by paula53 »

TahoeJeff, I called the US Forest Service office in South Lake Tahoe on Friday, and was told that in Northern Desolation, Genevieve is clear and the trail to Crag has some snow, but the lake has slush on it. Next week it should be ok for fishing.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

Jeff,

Thanks for the report. It looks like it might be a couple of more weeks until Gilmore thaws.

Will you be getting any snow in the next two days, or will that just be at higher elevations?

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Vaca Russ wrote:Jeff,

Will you be getting any snow in the next two days, or will that just be at higher elevations?
It's supposed to be 50* at lake level tomorrow and 60* on Wednesday. Definitely rain here and maybe up in Deso too. It wont help the lakes thaw, that's for sure!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

TahoeJeff wrote:

It's supposed to be 50* at lake level tomorrow and 60* on Wednesday. Definitely rain here and maybe up in Deso too. It wont help the lakes thaw, that's for sure!
Hey Jeff,

I noticed you just became a "Topix Expert". Congratulations!! What do you have to add to that to get a cup of Joe? :D :D

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Vaca Russ wrote:
TahoeJeff wrote:

Hey Jeff,

I noticed you just became a "Topix Expert". Congratulations!! What do you have to add to that to get a cup of Joe? :D :D

-Russ

I guess I made it to 400 posts. You're next Russ!

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and picture, this will make folks think twice before heading out
thinking that everyhing is dry and all the lakes are thawed because of our drought
year.
TJ wrote:
let out more choice words
Seems like there was a pattern developing on this trip. :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

At least the trail along Heather was clear. It's treacherous along that slope when iced over. Did you get a glimpse of Half Moon? What did it look like?

East Slope of the Crystal Range looks like it has a lot more snow than the west side (which I can see from a distance from certain parts of WIlton and ELk Grove).
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Tom, I didn't get a look at Half Moon, but given its elevation above Susie and that it sits in a cirque, I'd think it is still frozen. I should have done like Paula53 and called the USFS LTBMU office. They usually have current intel, and that could have saved me a slushy slog to frozen lakes!

Milton Friedman