Lugging that heavy car key

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lugging that heavy car key

Post by Jimr »

Well, I'm really screwed. I remove my truck key, bed cover key and gas key (almost forgot that one once) and put them in a ziploc baggie along with cash, DL, Debit/Credit card, insurance card. This goes into the map pouch along with a separate zip loc with maps and compass.

One trip I was staying at a camp spot to acclimate before the trip. When I packed up, I put the pouch with keys in their pack pouch so they wouldn't get lost while continuing to pack up. Without thinking, I threw the pack in the back and shut the bed cover. Took me an hour and help from a couple of guys at the camp to break into the back and retrieve my keys. That one sucked out loud.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:) nice one, Jimr. Some of us have also hit the lock button, closed the door and saw our keys dangling from the ignition. :o 62 buxx to get it open and then learn to carry a spare key in my wallet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Balzaccom wrote:
There is no point to carrying extra weight, and car keys certainly fall into that
category. I leave all of my keys in the car EXCEPT the car key itself. That goes
in my pack.
Sure hope you do not have your registration or insurance card that has you address on
it in your car, you may go home after a trip to find that your house was cleaned out.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cmon4day »

balzaccom wrote:
And on a related note---we have never seen a car that's been damaged at a trailhead....just wondering how many people on this board have had that problem, or seen that happen.
The only car trouble I've had was back in 1977 at the Eagle Lake TH (Desolation Wilderness) where someone stole the battery out of our car. :(
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

maverick wrote:
Balzaccom wrote:
There is no point to carrying extra weight, and car keys certainly fall into that
category. I leave all of my keys in the car EXCEPT the car key itself. That goes
in my pack.
Sure hope you do not have your registration or insurance card that has you address on
it in your car, you may go home after a trip to find that your house was cleaned out.
My car registration is in my wallet, and has my PO Box on it to boot.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:"that heavy car key" weighs 0.6 oz. I carry my car key and make up for its horribly heavy weight by deleting four peanuts or carrying one sip less water.
Some of the electronic keys weigh twice that. They really are kind of clunky.

I usually carry my key but I have also left it behind when I was trying to trim everything I could. I walked the JMT a couple of years ago without any resupply. I went over everything with a fine tooth comb. I wouldn't have wanted to give up those "four peanuts" because I also trimmed my food to what I thought was a minimum. Yes, on one level worrying about 15g is ridiculous but if you have that attitude about everything in your pack it has a funny way of adding up.

I weighed the several $20 bills, my driver's license and the credit card I took (total 15g). I neglected to bring the park pass and the guy who gave me a ride didn't have one. That tiny savings in weight cost me one of those twenties!

Normally though, I've got the key. And often a few cans of beer too.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Lol car keys and some cans of beer!

Good mix!

[-X

just messing....I am feeling sparky today
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Had my gas cap stolen, but no gas, at Hetch Hetchy in Sept. 1980.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

I keep car and cabin key in zippered pocket inside of shorts pocket. That pocket never gets opened during a trip. The gang all knows where they are, just in case. I never thought of hiding the key. I'd be wondering the whole trip if the hiding place was good enough.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldhikerQ wrote:I keep car and cabin key in zippered pocket inside of shorts pocket
The key is inside your shorts. Hopefully not those you are wearing.

Better to be in your pack like others have mentioned. In a widely disclosed place and maybe even on a clip.

Edit: if you are solo, doesn't matter. If you are the driver in a group, it kind of does. If they have to find you and you are "down" for whatever reason, they can't get your keys. Your pack is back at camp. They all know that location.