Thanksgiving Weekend Death Valley trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

do ubehebe peak on sunday am before heading out - that is what I am leaning towards - then come join us in the corridor on Saturday
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Ridgeline- The note will only be there if we change camps. It's not the greatest of camp areas, more as a meeting place, so we'll look around. If you guys did show up, what time(approx) would you be arriving? Friday night or Saturday moring? Not bringing the Ranger, will be in green Tacoma. I'll keep the walkies on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, at least.
Tom- When are you coming up? I think I might go in over Hunter also. Looks like it will cut alot of mileage out.
I'm outta here this morning- cooked up some turkey last night and will have my first Thanksgiving in DV. Kewl.
Bring wood if you can remember.
Yahoooooooooooooooo!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Sooz - I wanna leave out of Ridgecrest early on Friday morning - let me know what your timeline is - we could meet at the Saline Road turnoff - or I will keep my radio on
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Tom - I'm leaving today, hopefully before noon. Our stuff will be at camp, unless note changes camp, even if we aren't. I will be out doing stuff, (maybe Perdido Canyon, maybe White Top peak, maybe Leaning Rock peak) as much as possible in that general area. Will try leave at least one vehicle there, at the very least a tent (yellow) and table(blue). I'll turen on walkie Friday morning . Hope I have enough batteries with me!! : )
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Tomcat, after hearing you and TT talk about different ways to go, what is the fastest way there? We will meet you guys Sat morning, what time? Trail bud will have a four wheel drive Toureg VW. Neither one of us has ever been there before.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

most direct for me is via Hunter Mountain - as long as the spring has not turned the road into soup city - the road from ubehebe crater is long and rutty - after already making a long drive to get to ubehebe crater - 3rd option is up lippincott mine road - that is not the quickest way - I am thinking of going down that way just for the view. you should come and join - if you need I will send you a map with routes on it via e-mail
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Tell me what you think.
us 395 to ca190 to saline valley alternate rt/saline valley rd to ubehebe rd to racetrack valley rd
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

We got home a little while ago after about 10 hours on the road (including stops and traffic delays...)

This is a great group of people to be stuck with in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the good time. :D And TT, awesome choice with the Corridor - what a great canyon!

I only have ~600 photos to go through, so I might have them done in time for next Thanksgiving.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

glad you guys made it home ok - was nice to meet everyone. we did ubehebe peak today - was home by 5:30. next comes photo editing :crybaby: - next topix trip in 3 weeks
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'm home - it was a great weekend - thanks for posting the trip Sooz - it was nice not being out there alone for a change. I took a shower in Furnace Creek after Ubehebe and then had dinner in Shoshone. When I got to Baker the 15 wasn't moving so, I headed into the Mojave Preserve to watch a movie and take a nap. It was clear sailing at 1 am - only 2 hours from Baker to Redlands.