A desert peak we didn't make

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

And finally, Tomcat, this blog offers some ideas on how you can protect, or at least take revenge, on your attackers should Snowy be attacked by bees; don't know if it works for wasps! :D

The other day I was sitting in the sun eating a roast beef sandwich and enjoying a cup of strawberry yogurt when all of a sudden a bee lands on my hand. Not really caring, I flick the little critter as hard as I can but he’s a strong one. He doesn’t come off until maybe 15 hard, violent shakes. By this time the two girls at this table next to me think I am possessed and I’m acting crazy but whatever. At least I got this stupid thing off of me. I then look around to see where he landed. He’s nowhere in sight. Probably flew away I thought. Back to eating my sandwich.

About a minute passes and I feel a painful sensation on the palm of my right hand. I let out a manly, high-pitched scream. Wow you stupid bee bastard. You somehow managed to come back and stab me with your butt. I quickly pull the stinger out from my palm and examine it. It’s small and looks really curvy and sharp. I then get a glimpse of the limping bee on the table next to me and pick up this little defenseless (or at least NOW he’s defenseless) bee and stab him with his own stinger. Take that you fool. Now you have to die not only without your butt-javelin but also pierced by your own weapon! The pain lasted about 30 mins with no swelling and I would have to say I won this battle.

Stupid bees.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

what snowy didn't tell you was earlier in hike she was purposely annying this critter or on one his frineds when we stopped for a break on the way up. so by the time we were headed down - he had put out the word to be on the lookout. I think they call that "karma" or something. that is why they gave me the free pass.

as a side note: when this happened I was a minute or two ahead trying to make good time out since dark was rapidly approaching. I was listening to a song on I-pod so didn't hear her at first. By the time I heard her and waited - well that had to be the funniest sight. she looked like grandma moses hobbling down the trail all limping and hunched over. I had no idea what was wrong - thought maybe she threw a hip out or something. who would have guessed stung in one side cheek and the opposite side leg. it took me a minute to get my composure back in line before taking on job as medic. good thing it wasn't a rattler bite - don't remember any more if you suck out poison, cut big red "X's" in the wound or just immobilize.

ok - now that we all have had our fun - let's get out and enjoy some turkey and Thanksgiving
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

:lmao Trekker :lol:

"A dying yellowjacket releases an alarm pheromone, or smell, that alerts other wasps. In less than 15 seconds, yellowjackets within a 15-foot radius will come to the victim's aid."

and

"If you get stung, get moving! When yellowjackets sting they may leave behind a small amount of chemical marker that identifies you as an enemy of the nest. For this reason you should quickly leave the area after being stung before other wasps have a chance to swarm."

and

"Yellowjackets that are foraging for food will usually not sting unless physically threatened, such as being struck or caught in a tight place. But if they feel their nest is in danger, they will vigorously defend it. All wasps defend their colonies, but some yellowjackets are more sensitive to nest disturbance and more aggressive in their defense. Disturbing a yellowjacket nest can result in multiple stings. This can occur when someone accidentally steps on an underground nest opening or disturbs a nest in a shrub or building. Sometimes merely coming near a nest, especially if it has been disturbed previously, can provoke an attack."

SOOOO, Tom probably disturbed the nest and by the time I came by they got me. I'm lucky the whole colony didn't come after me! :eek:

It feels better, just a little itching now.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;