Conditions/water availability around Lake Thomas A. Edison

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CaliCruzer
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Conditions/water availability around Lake Thomas A. Edison

Post by CaliCruzer »

Hello everybody,
Looking forward to my first Sierra trip of the season with some good friends. We are planning on returning to one of my favorite locations, Graveyard Lakes. Was wondering if anyone has been in the area and knows anything about snowpack ( :lol: right?) and/or water availability. Last time I was there neither was an issue but this year has had a much smaller snowpack. Input on possible alternative options is appreciated!

Thanks everybody!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions/water availability around Lake Thomas A. Edison

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't know about snow pack but you shouldn't have any issues with water. It's only 7 miles to the lake and Cold Creek will certainly be running.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You're not saying when you're going. But there's still snow above 9,000 feet and the Kaiser Pass road is still closed.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote:
You're not saying when you're going.
That little bit of information would help. :nod: VVR is supposed to open may 21st.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The day a lot of things open, likely including roads. Also the day the fire ban in Sequoia NF starts. :(
Robo_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Robo_Hiker »

Just got back from Graveyard Lakes this afternoon.
Hiked in on 5/25. Some snow covering the trail between the Graveyard/Goodale junction, but will probably be gone in a couple days.

First Graveyard lake probably had 70% covered in ice, but melting fast.

Upper Graveyard Lake was completely covered in ice.

Tried going over Silver Fox Pass, but the north side slope was completely covered in snow. I don't even know if I would try this one with ice axe and crampons at this time of year.

I'll try to do a full trip report with pictures if somebody else doesn't beat me to it ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robo_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Robo_Hiker »

A few more shots from 5/25 to 5/27.
I would love to find out if anybody has more information on this area, especially the cool pyramid in the lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.