Early season Trinity Alps trip advice

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Early season Trinity Alps trip advice

Post by maiathebee »

Hey y'all! Super excited to see everyone starting to post trip reports and think about adventures for 2014. I've got a lot planned, including my first solo hike ever---this weekend!

I'm planning to head up to the Trinity Alps this weekend and I'd love your advice for a great early season trip up there. According to the April 24th trail report ( http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 154861.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), the snowpack is ridiculously low. I'll be staying in Weaverville on Thursday, hiking in on Friday morning and out on Sunday afternoon. I've been once before (Four Lakes Loop via Stoney Ridge) a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Details:

--Level 4 backpacking experience, but this will be my first solo trip, so I'd like to stay on trail for this trip.
--I'm comfortable with Class 2-3 and x-country, but as I mentioned, I'd like to stay on trail for my first solo trip. I'd also like to minimize stream/river crossings for the same reason.
--I love big views and pretty lakes. I don't fish. I would enjoy campsites with great sunrises and sunsets.
--For this trip, I'm looking to do about 8-10 miles and 2000 feet of elevation per day (less than usual since again, first solo so I'm carrying everything instead of sharing the burden of tent/cook/bear gear).
--I'd prefer a loop or lollipop, but out and back is fine.

I've been thinking about Granite Lake up over Seven Up Pass to Four Lakes Loop and back via Bear Basin, but I am a bit worried about snow on Seven Up Pass and creek crossings in Bear Basin.

Another thought I had was to head up Canyon Creek, but again there is a creek crossing that could be gnarly before one gets to the Good Stuff (Canyon Lakes & L lake).

Thanks in advance!
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Early season Trinity Alps trip advice

Post by rlown »

regardless of your trip, the La Grange Cafe in Weaverville is the place to eat. 520 Main street. The Italian place across from the market to the South isn't bad either.

Personally, if just backpacking, Right up Stuart fork towards Emerald and Sapphire lks., esp, since it's early. in and out. not a lot of loops there for a 3 day.

When you check in to get your permit, they can tell you where they think there is snow and change your plans there.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I've backpacked exactly once in the Trinity Alps, a quarter century ago, but my father and I did a lovely five day trip with a small shuttle between trailheads. I posted some pictures in response to another inquiry some time ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8246&p=59909&hilit= ... ity#p59909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps some of that thread will help.

We went in at Swift Creek.
Granite Lake day 1.
Granite Lake over the Pass near Seven Up Peak and past Deer Lake to Summit lake on day 2
Stayed at Summit Lake and climbed (easy walk-up) Siligo Peak on day 3.
Summit Lake through Siligo Meadows and Bee Tree gap to the upper reaches of Long Canyon on day 4.
Down Long Canyon to our car shuttle on day 5.

All these distances were relatively short and allowed ample time for exploring. We went in August of what I remember as a normal year and found the flowers, particularly in the upper reaches of Long Canyon above treeline, to be spectacular.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Going off trail in the Trinity Alps is nearly impossible in the lower densely vegetated areas, so staying on a trail is a good idea! I have off-trail hiked at the head of Canyon Creek and climbed Wedding Cake peak. It was very difficult until I got above the vegetation. Most of the climb was on snow. I had an ice axe. The trip was 4th July of a high snow year. I am horrible at creek crossings and I do not recall any crossing that freaked me out - we did have to wade. So I do not think you have to worry too much this year about early season creek crossings. Finding a dry place to camp may be a problem. With the underbrush, almost all campsites are established and if just recently melted, can be damp. Canyon Creek is very popular. As soon as it is open lots of people will use it, especially on weekends. This can be good, because if there is snow there should be a beaten path. Not good if you are looking for solitude.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
Personally, if just backpacking, Right up Stuart fork towards Emerald and
Sapphire lks., esp, since it's early.
Yes, Emerald, Sapphire, Mirror Lakes, but also Grizzly Lake, and the Four Lakes Loop are some of the prettiest lakes in northern California. The Four Lakes Loop via the Stoney Ridge Trail is the perfect intro hike, all trail, and if you want a peak to climb Siligo Peak is on your way in, it has spectacular views. Diamond Lake, Siligo Meadow, and Deer Creek have good camping, but Deer Creek can be a bit crowded.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

maverick wrote:
Rlown wrote:
The Four Lakes Loop
via the Stoney Ridge Trail is the perfect intro hike, all trail, and if you want a
peak to climb Siligo Peak is on your way in, it has spectacular views.
I did exactly this on my first trip there a few years ago! And yeah, Siligo is great :D

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll think about Stuart Fork or Canyon Creek and talk to the ranger when I pick up my permit to finalize the decision :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I backpacked with a couple of friends to Emerald on Friday. Went to Sapphire the next morning and then down the valley to the crossing that heads to Alpine Lake. Water was a bit too high for my friends, so we camped there, ate some shrooms, and fished. Next morning, an easy boogie out.

Conditions: No snow up to Sapphire Lake. Good weather, with a few drops of rain on the way out Sunday. Above freezing at night. Rainbows in the Stuart Fork were so stuffed with bugs they weren't interested in my lures.

Now a few photos:
The Stuart Fork

Morris Meadows

Sawtooth Ridge

Emerald Lake

Emerald Lake from trail to Sapphire

Sapphire Lake

Morris on Saturday. Green now, but probably dry soon.

Shrooms

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Morels. What a bonus! nice report..
tarbuckle
Topix Acquainted

Post by tarbuckle »

Creek crossings won't be an issue this year in the Alps. I just returned from a trip up the NF. A trip that I wouldn't even consider until mid to late June(some years July) because of high water. Crossings were knee high.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I had a great time in Canyon Creek / Boulder Creek drainages. Full TR coming soon, but here's a little something:

Alpenglow above Boulder Creek Lake basin