Route planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
uclacody0908
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Route planning

Post by uclacody0908 »

I am planning a trip to the Hetch Hetchy area first week of June. I've been backpacking for a couple years and only stuck to trails. With this 2 possibly 3 night trip I would like to do some off trail cross country traveling. I might bring a spinning reel for fun with some flys but fishing is not my main interest. I have maps, compass, and gps and know how to use them.

I am looking at maps and google earth trying to find the best route to go from hetch hetchy to ardeth lake then down to mahan lake for example. It seems that I could pass around the south eastern edge of the peak and down to mahan but am I being ignorant for assuming I could do that with no climbing gear? I am in great shape and though I have never rock climbed I grew up free climbing as a kid on just about everything.

I can do 12 miles a day no problem. I planned on taking moraine ridge to miwok lake then up to ardeth to camp first night. Then down to mahan lake, jack main canyon, lunch at wilma, up to the otter lakes, then down to bearup to camp night 2. Day 3 I planned on taking frog creek out to moraine ridge then back down to HH.

How does that trip sound? Snow under 9k ft should be gone by then?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Route planning

Post by oldranger »

Ardeth is 16 miles, and 4700 feet of vertical hot hell through mostly burned over terrain. Your first day plan is a bit ambitious. Though the last few miles of the route is off trail I suspect there is a user trail that forks off the main trail just before the main trail drops down to Jack Main Canyon because the local packer indicates it is possible to pack into Miwok and Ardeth. Micro topography and brush makes off trail travel pretty slow and nasty in this area but your route is doable but I think 2 days in is a more reasonable time to get to Ardeth.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

You most likely will not make 12 miles per day off-trail. One rule thumb is cross country figure 1 mph or less.

Even the most detailed photos do not show all the obstacles and travel impediments when cross country. Even experienced aerial photo interpreters can have difficulty estimating brush height under timber canopy, and for cross country travel the difference between 2' and 3' brush is significant. Add in slash and the amount of rock and travel can be real slow.

This does not mean you should not travel off trail. Most of us do it frequently, and gets you to some real unknown gems of campsites. However, x country travel is significantly slower and harder than you initially plan.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

You are getting pretty good advice here from Old Ranger and Dave. That first couple of miles up out of Hetch-hetchy is slow going...and Moraine RIdge is very dry, thus the nickname Migraine Ridge. By the time you get your wilderness permit and hit the trail, it's going to be at least noon before you get to the top of that first climb..and many people camp right around there...so your plan to continue on for 12-14 more miles is really ambitious

This is great country you are exploring (we hiked through Jack Main Canyon last year, and have a bunch of photos and trip notes on our site) but it is not exactly easy going. Add a few days to your itinerary, and you should have a great time.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
uclacody0908
Topix Novice

thank you

Post by uclacody0908 »

Thank you oldranger and others. Maybe first night at vernon. 2nd day up to branigan, then mahan and up to ardeth for the night. Day 3 head down to bearup then follow frog creek to laurel for night 3.

I really want to check out ardeth lake and hopefully climb mahan peak. I love a good view!
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Cody

Use the search function to find descriptions of how to get to Branigan. Crossing Falls Creek in early june even this dry year could be problematic.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
uclacody0908
Topix Novice

Post by uclacody0908 »

Wow caltopo looks great thank you teresa I will use that for sure! Search I shall oldranger thanks again!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Cody,

Welcome aboard HST!
You can skirt around Lake Vernon's southern side and head towards the smaller
lakes to the eastern part of the basin. You head up towards Branigan Lake right
next to Branigan Creek Falls. Skirt the lakes southern end to get back to the other
Branigan Lakes or the little lakes towards the south. Falls Creek is not crossable
once past Lake Vernon. Ardeth Lake is pretty, travel between Mahan-Ardeth-Miwok
is relatively easy, getting down to Bearup takes care, as will descending to Laurel.
These photo's will give you an idea of the topography in the area and around the
lakes, click on the individual photo's to get a larger version: http://wildernessapertures.com/p1029075459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

be prepared for a bushwack

The route from mahan peak to mahan lake is certainly doable. This area is pretty mellow and full of weaknesses, so you can pretty much go anywhere, it just involves LOTS of micro route finding and lots of bushwacking.