TR: Snowmelt update from Kings Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Snowmelt update from Kings Canyon

Post by KathyW »

Duxbait: Maybe those were your footprints I saw on the Copper Creek Trail - I saw them down lower, but not up higher in the snow. I think someone went up higher, but the tracks had melted out.

Anyway, there is still a lot of snow out there on the Copper Creek Trail - patchy snow starts about 9,300' and then lots of snow by 10,000'. I turned back at 10,300'. It's consolidated and melting fast, but there are so many big boulders and trees that you punch through enough for it not to be much fun - at least in the afternoon.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Snowmelt update from Kings Canyon

Post by cgundersen »

vhsvhs & Kathy,
Great heads ups from both of you; like Bluewater, I'm envious! My wife & I are usually flexible enough to get out by this time of year, but we're on hold till early June. My main concern is whether we'll be batting lots of bugs; otherwise, the snow level looks to be well within our comfort zone. Of course, that and the bug bloom could change if the predicted storms this week drop some significant white stuff. Anything to improve the water situation works for me, but I'll be keen to see if any reports come in next week.
cg