Any experience with Emigrant Wilderness by Dodge Ridge?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Any experience with Emigrant Wilderness by Dodge Ridge?

Post by bdevlin »

Looking for a place closer to Sacramento for a backpacking trip. Just a few guys getting away and seeing the wilderness. Hoping it's not too crowded on Jun 6th weekend. Also picked this area due to what appears to be shorter and easier hiking. Gianelli's Cabin looks to be the take off point to places like Granite Lake, Gem Lake, Y Meadow Lake etc.
Last edited by bdevlin on Tue May 06, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Any experience with Emigrant Wilderness by Dodge Ridge?

Post by rlown »

please post a route you intend. sorry for the rephrase.

You also said nothing about intention: fish, hike, etc.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We've done ton of hiking in this area, and it's very convenient. You can pull a permit at the Summit Ranger station at Pinecrest Lake, right at the turn-off to Dodge Ridge (and to your trailhead, either Crabtree or Gianelli.) Permits are free, and there are no trail quotas.

Your suggested routes and destinations are all good--but bear in mind that in early June the creeks will be high, and possibly dangerous to cross. This would be an issue for Piute Creek (between Crabtree trailhead and Gem Lake) and also Whiteside Meadow--which will probably a swamp about then. Y Meadow will be mosquito heaven. It's better later in season.

My suggestion? Crabtree to Granite is a great hike. There is no trail beyond Bear Lake--but there is a reasonably clear marked route. And Bear Lake is a good fall-back destination.

Later in the season, when the creeks go down, Gem Lake is lovely...and there is a lot to see beyond that...

We have loads of photos and trip reports about this area on our website...noted below
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
jmyers
Topix Novice

Post by jmyers »

Emigrant is one of my favorite places I have hiked. As soon as I get bored we hit another lake, can't beat it. Crowds can be an issue if you don't go to far in. Once you get past Gem lake it tends to thin out. Last year we hiked in early June with no high water issues, just a few creeks shin deep. With less snow this year it should be even easier. It will most likely be mosquito hell though. My personal preference in Gianelli over Crabtree, but both are awesome. Last year in June we camped at Deer lake and saw two other groups the entire weekend.