Side, Back, or Stomach?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Side, Back, or Stomach?

Post by maverick »

What position do you sleep in? If you sleep on your side at home, do you also in the
back-country? If you sleep on you back or your side, do you place something under
or between your knees? Does your sleeping bag or pad dictate what your sleeping
position will be?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Side, Back, or Stomach?

Post by Rockchucker »

Side sleeper, at home, in the mountains, always. I don't put anything between the legs. The two things that has helped my back country comfort tremendously is quilts and Exped air mat.
I'm no suture for my future.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Side, tossing and turning, on the ground. Side and back (simultaneously) in the hammock, or side, or back, all comfortable, sleeping like the dead until I either have to take a leak or get up and hike.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Almost what she said, minus hammock. I would like to sleep but i don't. the smallest noise wakes me. I'm on a Neo air. I toss and turn. left side works best. Like OR, the thicker mattress helps.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Side or stomach sleeper here, rare occasions ill sleep on my back. I sleep like a rock and generally fall asleep within minutes of shutting my eyes, and I snore loudly.

I sleep same at home as in the mountains.

I use a thermarest prolite 4 and its great.

My new sleeping bag i got last year is infinitely fore comphy than my stinky old mummy bag
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by larroyo33 »

I am cursed as a stomach sleeper. Therefore, as much as I hate it, I have to bring two sleeping pads with me - a Therm-a-rest Z Lite and a Therm-a-rest ProLite. I have tried several different sleeping pads, but this two pad combination is the only thing that has ever allowed me to get a good night's sleep in the backcountry. I know, I'm a wimp.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I sleep in all positions but spend the most time on my sides.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I start out on my back, feet crossed and propped up with the backpack, with my arms folded behind my head. I usually lay there with my eyes closed for a good hour managing thoughts in my head before I conk out. Normally I sleep through the night, but wake up pre-dawn, fully zipped up in my bag, on my side in a fetal position. My hip usually hurts at this point, so I rollover to my other side for another hour or so of decent sleep. I admit, my Therm-a-rest Ridgerest (closed cell foam) is starting to feel thin.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sparky and Larroyo33,

Wow, did not expect any stomach sleepers. How do you position you legs to
get comfy while sleeping on you stomach? Do you place something under you
stomach/hips to take the pressure of your lower back?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Actually Maverick there is no other position that feels as relaxing to me as when I sleep on my stomach. For me it seems to take all the pressure off every part of my body except my neck which is why I don't spend a whole lot of time like that.

When I was about 12 I actually woke up one morning on my stomach in extreme agony with my neck. I don't know what I did to it but I spent the next 3 days on the couch using the back rest to support my neck. If I got up I had to use my hands to hold it. Certainly some of the worst pain I have ever gone through!