TR: Snowmelt update from Kings Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,

Last weekend, I made a short trip to Roads End, to check out the snow conditions and try a couple new pieces of summer gear. I backpacked from Roads End up to the PCT junction at Woods Creek, camped by the suspension bridge, and then returned to the trailhead the next day. It was exciting to see this area of the park, normally crowded, with a deeper sense of solitude.

Snow: On north-facing slopes, the snow is melted away up to 9000'. On many south-facing slopes, the snow is entirely gone.

I encountered a handful of day hikers going to Mist Falls, but otherwise I met only two backpacking parties. One guy was finishing the Rae Lakes loop counterclockwise, and he said it was a long slog through rotten snow from Glen Pass down to 9000'. Another two guys were starting the Rae Lakes loop clockwise, lacking trekking poles or an ice axe (err, good luck).

The conditions are very nice right now! Warm nights, low crowds, no mosquitos. . .

The Sphinx and Palmer Mountain

Perfect picnic conditions in Castle Domes Meadow

Castle Domes

On the Woods Creek suspension bridge; patchy snow on north-facing slopes above 9000'

If you're curious, I posted more photos on my Flickr stream: (link)

Cheers,
V.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for posting your photos. This really makes we want to get back out there, soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Yes, what Blue water said. It looks like summer!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Ballpeen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Snowmelt update from Kings Canyon

Post by Ballpeen »

Thanks for the info! I like to take my boys up there early season for car camping and day hiking. Last year around this time, roads end was day use only. Sounds like that might not be the case this year. Were any of the campgrounds in the roads end area open?
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the update. I'm headed up the Copper Creek Trail this weekend. I'd like to camp at Grouse lake and attempt Goat Mountain. Any suggestions on the need for snowshoes above 9000' or 10000'? Did the guy who did the Rae Lakes Loop have snowshoes or wish he had them if he did not? If I end up hauling the snowshoes and other winter gear, I might split the uphill to Grouse Lake into 2 days instead of one.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR Vhsvhs. Were their a lot of campers in Paradise?
Ballpeen wrote:
Were any of the campgrounds in the roads end area open?
Campgrounds that are currently open: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@KathyW - The Copper Creek trail is snow-free, at least up the ridge to Mount Hutchings, and I would guess that the route to Grouse Lake is also snow-free. However, Goat Mountain still has snow on its southern face, but not much. See the photo I attached. It's not a very good photo, but it shows a dusting of snow on Goat Mountain, as viewed from Castle Domes meadow. FWIW, I hope that helps.

ImageA view of Goat Mountain from Castle Domes Meadow.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hey @Ballpeen and @maverick - I saw one group camped in Lower Paradise, but Upper Paradise was a ghost town.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

vhsvhs - Thanks - it helps. I might just plan to try to be out where there is snow early in the day instead of dragging the snowshoes.
Duxbait
Topix Novice

Post by Duxbait »

KathyW wrote:vhsvhs - Thanks - it helps. I might just plan to try to be out where there is snow early in the day instead of dragging the snowshoes.
I plan to do similar. I am decide whether or not to carry crampons and an axe now. Seems either soft snow or hard in the am where I may want the traction.