Thanksgiving Weekend Death Valley trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wingding

Post by wingding »

I haven't heard from Alan since I emailed him the info on where we were headed, so I'm assuming he's heading in a different direction.

I did Pahrump Point yesterday - the weather was beautiful in the Shoshone/Pahrump area (almost hot) - if only my ankle didn't swell back up I would have done Stewart Point today. I checked out the Ibex Dunes too - nice area. There are all kinds of old mines down in that area and some good places to camp - I'll be headed back there soon.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I think I've been to that camping place before. Does this look like where it is:

I made a map of the corridor area to - it's based on the map in the "Hiking Death Valley" book:

Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

That's exactly right, Kathy. Thanks for posting the maps. I still need to learn how to post pics and files on here.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Trail Bud and I are thinking about something for the weekend after Thanksgiving, kinda wanted a chute with snow/ice, Sierra stuff. Desert fun could work, hummm.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Would love to see you guys! (Go to the Sierra the wknd after) !!!
wingding

Post by wingding »

If my ankle allows it I think I'm going to try do do Ubehebe on Friday and Sandy Peak or Last Chance Mountain on Sunday.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

**No gas at Scotty's Castle**

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

....just in case anyone was planning on getting gas there- I read on the "morning report" that there is none there as of now.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

One more thing.... if by chance someone else is camping at our camp area, I will leave a note at the top of the post at Teakettle Junction stating where we are. Leave the note for others in our party, I will retreive it before we leave. If we can't all connect for some reason, we can always meet at the Ubehebe Mine Saturday morning at around 8 a.m. for the Corridor hike.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Okay, I lied, one MORE thing. I will set walkie-talkies at 10/10 and will check periodically Friday and Friday evening.
The gas thing above wasn't very clear- it's in the subject line- but it's no gas at SCotty's Castle. Everywhere else okay.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

If TB and I head that way we will check the note at Teakettle Junction, and channell 10/10 on Sat morning. Might do Ubehebe pk Sat. and look for ya all Sat evening.