Sierra or Sierras?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra or Sierras?

Post by rlown »

ok. another round of grammar:

http://www.englishforums.com/English/Si ... b/post.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can decide which you choose. I choose Sierra.

russ
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra or Sierras?

Post by giantbrookie »

This isn't really a matter of English grammar, but Spanish. It should be Sierra, but that is a purest view going back to the origin of the name and in its "borrowed" form the purest definition does not necessarily carry the day.

I very much object to the redundancy of "Sierra Nevada Mountains", though. That is a very bad English corruption that builds in the redundancy. Even academic geologists have been known to use that term and I've gotten on such authors as a reviewer or editor. This same sort of redundancy creeps into English adoptions of mountain names in at least two languages I know of: One example is "Mount Fujiyama" which is redundant because the "Mount" is the "yama" (so Mt. Fuji is legit). Another famous one I've seen is Mount Taishan (the "Mt" is in "shan"--so Mt. Tai is how we should do it). We also have Matterhorn Peak in the Sierra but at least I've never heard of anyone refer to the Matterhorn in the Alps as "Mt. Matterhorn" or "Matterhorn Peak".
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

For me, "High Sierra", Sierra Nevada", "THE Sierra", or John Muir's "Range of Light". "The Sierras" is far too vague.

Sierra Nevada literally translates as "a mountain range, appearing as a saw, covered with snow". I think our early spanish settlers, and Muir summed it up perfectly.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I am currently reading John Fremont's journal of his exploration of OR/CA. He refers to it as the Great California Range.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I hear markskor is teaching a college course on this topic.

It's 5 days of intensive behavioral therapy so people know to leave that last "S" off.

It costs 1000 buxx and you get a certificate of completion.

Russ
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'll stick with Sierra.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My grammar is horrible so I simply forgive humans just being human and making mistakes.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

1355 uses of "Sierras" on this site.

oops.. now 1356 or 1357.. :o
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

It's the same with Buttermilk, so many people call it the Buttermilk(s) which is incorrect.
I'm no suture for my future.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

My favorite examply of this is BenBury Hill in Britain. Ben, Bury, and Hill all mean hill in different languages,. EVery time a new language became dominant they added another hill to the name.

And it's Sierra. As we say on our website: "Sierra, in Spanish, means “mountain range.” (Actually it has two meanings--the other one is a saw--as in the Sawtooth Range.)

So the range is the Sierra, not the Sierras. There are not many mountain ranges, there is one. And yes, we speak English here, not Spanish. That’s why we live in a state called California, in cities called Sacramento, Los Angeles and San Francisco, and use words like patio, cargo, canyon, siesta, adobe, macho, corral, aficionado, …and don’t even get me started on food. Ay! Caramba!"
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963