Dog regulations in Little Lakes Valley?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Dog regulations in Little Lakes Valley?

Post by larroyo33 »

My wife and I are considering an overnight trip to Little Lakes Valley in early July, and we wanted to bring our two dogs with us. The Sierra South guidebook mentioned that dogs are prohibited at the valley's south end, including Treasure Lakes. I checked Recreation.gov, and it does not mention any dog restrictions. It only says: "This area is near Bighorn Sheep habitat. Use of pack goats is not advised in order to protect the health of the wild sheep." Does anyone know if the Sierra South book is correct, and there are restrictions on backpacking with dogs in Little Lakes Valley?

We are planning on camping at either Chickenfoot Lake or Long Lake.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dog regulations in Little Lakes Valley?

Post by AlmostThere »

I would defer to a ranger at Inyo NF on the matter. The Inyo website has this to say:
http://tinyurl.com/nj8d6fe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there is a special regulation ala Sierra South, it's not on the website.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

There are always many dogs on the main trail, and there is not a sign at the trailhead restricting dogs. Nor has a ranger ever stopped me with my dog. For a little more privacy, take the fisherman's trail around Marsh Lake to the Hidden Lakes behind Heart and Box; no crowds and some nice camping. Easy cross country to the lakes, and there is a trail back to Box Lake. There is also an easy but faint trail at the beginning of Long Lake to more unnamed lakes. The smaller ponds will most likely be mud holes or dry.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Last year we took our dog and camped at Treasure Lakes. When getting the permit, we said we had a dog, and no restrictions were mentioned. A lot of people day-hike their dogs, some with two or three. We ran into dogs constantly- probably the most dogs we had ever seen on any trails. I would not take a dog if it were not well socialized to other dogs. Not saying it is technically legal, but everyone seemed to let their dog off leash when no other dogs were present and then quickly put them on leash when other dogs were passed. I would not even do this unless my dog is very well trained. As a courtesy to other hikers, do not let your dog poop on or near the trail.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Wandering Daisy wrote:As a courtesy to other hikers, do not let your dog poop on or near the trail.
I may be blasted for this opinion, but I think dog owners should bury their pet's poop when backpacking as they do their own, or carry it out if day hiking. Lately, I've noticed an upswing in the amount of dog feces in the backcountry, some near water sources.

-Scott (current dog count in the family = 5)
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I agree about burying or carrying out the dog poop, although I sometimes don't see where Freddog goes when he is running off trail. And WD is correct about this trail seeming to be the most popular with dogs, and not just the big ones - even the little yappers love fast walking up to Gem Lakes! Hope you and your dogs have a great trip. Just the drive up Rock Creek Road should be really colorful with wildflowers at that time.

BTW, a lovely short little walk can be taken from the day use parking at the campground by Rock Creek Lodge (on the left heading up a mile or two before Rock Creek Lake). The trail goes along the creek through open mostly shaded forest, and the monkshood, wild lilies, masses of shooting stars and other wildflowers are beautiful. The creek widens and resembles a slowly meandering river for a short time before the trail climbs up to RCL. One of my favorite little quiet spots.
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted

Post by larroyo33 »

Thanks everyone for the info on bringing the doggies and for the campsite recommendations.

Yeah, my dogs are well socialized, so it should not be a problem if there are a lot other dogs around. I have taken them on about 6 overnight trips before, and they have always been well behaved. I generally hike with them on leash, and will probably do so here since it seems to be a dog heavy trail. As for poop, I agree with you guys, I always bag it and then bury it 6 inches deep, at least 100 feet from water and the trail once I set up camp, per the regulations. Thanks again.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

I know it's not the most original spot for a picture but memorable.
Great place for the pup
Enjoy it we did.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF writes:

Traditionally, National Forests have welcomed dogs. However there are a few rules
that apply to assure that you and other National Forest visitors have an enjoyable
outdoor recreation experience. If you are camping with your pet, please practice
the following (these rules will be enforced in developed recreation areas and wilderness
areas):
- Leave vicious or unusually noisy dogs at home.
- During the day keep your dog on a leash no more than 6 feet long, or otherwise restrict
its freedom to roam at will.
- At night keep your dogs and other pets inside an enclosed vehicle or in a tent.
- Developed campgrounds are for people, not animals. Please do not bring more than
two dogs or other pet to any one campsite.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org