Yosemite reminds us that flying robots aren't allowed

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite reminds us that flying robots aren't allowed

Post by maiathebee »

I wasn't aware that this is a problem, but jeez can you imagine a flock of drones blocking your view of Half Dome? Major buzzkill. :lol:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/use-of ... l-park.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite reminds us that flying robots aren't allowed

Post by BillyBobBurro »

I guess I will have to scratch my plans for back country beer delivery.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I will get really good at throwing rocks real fast if one of those comes along. I go to get away from other people's idiocy and intrusive behavior. Last thing I need is video showing up of my skinny dipping at 11k.

Tell me you would not do the same if someone hovered one of those over your backyard shooting footage of your private life!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

AlmostThere wrote:I will get really good at throwing rocks real fast if one of those comes along. I go to get away from other people's idiocy and intrusive behavior. Last thing I need is video showing up of my skinny dipping at 11k.

Tell me you would not do the same if someone hovered one of those over your backyard shooting footage of your private life!
A piece of surgical tubing a small y branch, instant slingshot!
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

it'd still be nice to have a drone that could carry an 11lb food packed bearikade that would just hover behind and follow you. :)

I still want the commercial planes that fly over Yose E/W on final descent into the central valley rerouted. Just as annoying. The navy can still run their training jets N/S, but they need to fly lower so i can enjoy them more. I would love more boom from them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
The navy can still run their training jets N/S, but they need to fly lower so i can
enjoy them more. I would love more boom from them.
That's okay, we can do with out the noise just move to Lemoore, you'll get all
the boom you want Russ.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I pay tax dollars for the armed forces.. i should get something out of it :)

Commercial jets just cause humm background noise until 10pmish.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I got a show one time hiking down the kern in the forks of the kern area....some sort of fighter jet flew below the rim of the canyon...IN the canyon that is...and took 2 90 degree turns and was gone.

Look at the topo of the kern right above the forks of the kern traihead and you will see the 2 90 degree turns I am talking about. That is where I saw that thing.

The sudden explosion of sound was pretty wild....I thought I was about to be buried in a rock slide...when that didnt happen I thought nuclear disaster....then aliens...then I saw the black streak shoot around the corner and we were once again left in complete silence. No approach sound, no sound of it flying away, just nothing, BOOM, then nothing again. Was wild.
GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

I've never seen or heard a drone in Yosemite. But if noise is really the issue here the NPS could do more to keep out the more usual noise makers: (1) Motorcyclists riding in noisy packs and (2) boom boxes.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Interesting - (maybe a good name for a garage band too) - The Drone of the Sierra Nevada. Compare this to the 1948 Bogart movie, "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"...
Here is the fun (educational) part - Both are different Sierra and thus, maybe the one correct use of the plural, as in - That damn fool was again harping about the word Sierras. BTW, as a rule, any other use of the word "Sierras" is wrong, and still a pet peeve...(thanks Mav).

Never seen/heard a drone in Yosemite either but you know they are around. FYI, this is about private photographers and such, not gov park work. Rather than being immediately dismissive of any use in the park, if flights were/are limited to SAR... could be an efficient tool, especiallly on big walls. Timely, as well as being cost effective, a Sierra drone with a camera, hovering over a reported fall could save lives by providing "eyes on" proactive data on what's needed.

Finally, about 3 decades ago, going up Snake Dyke (5.8 Half Dome route), a couple of Phantoms playing Top Gun tag came roaring up Yosemite Valley - up LYV - maybe two hundred feet off the wall and 500 feet below us. After I unloaded my pants...
Mountainman who swims with trout