Pahrump Point and Ibex Dunes

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wingding

Pahrump Point and Ibex Dunes

Post by wingding »

I day hiked to Pahrump Point (between Shoshone, California and Pahrump, Nevada) in the Nopah Range on Saturday. It was a nice hike mostly with a fun summit ridge. The hike is about 8 miles round-trip with 3400 feet gain. There's not much gain in the first two miles, which is along a road that you're not allowed to drive on anymore (unfortunately). It gets steep over the last two miles as you head up a wash and a couple gullies to gain the summit ridge.

Here are pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2149069/1

I was planning on doing Stewart Point, which is the same area today but my ankle decided to give me problems and cancelled those plans. I ended up camping out by Ibex Dunes and getting up early this morning to go check out the dunes. Here are some pictures I took of the Ibex Dunes:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2150480
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Good pictures, as always. I particularly like the low-angle sun on the dunes, and the colors it produces.

On the self-portrait on Pahrump I noticed that you're wearing what looks like a Garmin Foretrex or Forerunner—what do you think of it? I've been lusting after one, but it'd be good to have a first-hand account of its good points and bad points.
wingding

Post by wingding »

It's a Foretrex 101 - very basic and not expensive as far as GPS's go - I think you can find it out there for about $100 if you shop around. It replaced a Garmin Etrex (the basic yellow one without mapping). The Etrex was good and I used it for 4 year, but the screen finally got so scratched up that I was having trouble reading it.

The Foretrex is also very basic - almost the same functions as the Etrex. It does not have mapping, but that doesn't bother me much because I input waypoints and use them. It's supposed to be waterproof, but I haven't checked to makes sure. You can download waypoints from your computer if you get the pc interface cable and have the software. I just print out my waypoints and put them in manually - slower that way but easy enough.

I wanted the 101 because it used regular AAA batteries (the 202 is dependent on special rechargeables that would make it harder when backpacking).

Anyway, I am pleased with the Foretrex 101 - it's pretty darn accurate and has held up well through lots of banging around out there. I'd buy another one.