New sleeping pad

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: New sleeping pad

Post by oldranger »

fishmonger

I chucked the stuff sack and just roll it up in the snozzle!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

maverick wrote:Broke in my new Exped 7UL a couple of weeks ago and like it much better than
the big orange Warmlite.
It is much more comfortable, and the "schnozzle bag" works like a charm.
Now have too find a backpack again, and get rid of my Osprey, which was
never a comfortable pack.
My last pack purchase was agonizing. When I get a pack again, I decided to just cut to the chase, spend the $ and have one custom built.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:I use some really light 1/8" thick closed cell foam between the tent floor and my downmat to reduce odds of puncture from below. To date puncture from below have not been an issue. My last night in the Eaglecap I noted a small loss in pressure over night. When I got home I found that my duct tape patch [over the leak I caused by dropping my open pocket knife on the pad] had developed a small leak (one tiny air bubble every couple of seconds). I removed the tape, cleaned off the residue, and applied two coats of Shoe Goo to the hole.

Mike
It's not even a real pocket knife. i'ts 1.3" at best. You scare me when you use it in the "kitchen." The better question is why is it in your tent? It's not likely a bear deterrent.

At the same time, i love duct tape.. I carry lots.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ

It was a long, cold, snowy day and I decided to trim my fingernails. :( So it really wasn't the knife point but the scissors that did the damage.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Thinking of picking up a BA Q-Core SL. 3.5" thick, R Value of 5, 18 oz, 72x20, non tapered. http://www.rei.com/product/846673/big-a ... eeping-pad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ProLite pad is slightly lacking and I'm not fond of the taper.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

T....h....

If you get it from REI and it is not satisfactory you can return it. However, given the 31/2" of thickness, I suspect you will find the 20" width unstable when you roll over.

Mike
Mike

fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

followup on the Exped UL 7 - I spent a few nights below 15 degrees on it, no other pads below or on top, on snow and on rock. No problems, nice and warm. Only complaint is the useless stuffbag that is too small for field use. I just roll it up and use a larger stuff bag I had laying around. Most nights I used my bag as a blanket, so the only insulation I had under me was the pad. Never felt cold.

No punctures yet, and I had some pretty rough granite grit between pad and tent floor a few times, expecting the worst, but so far things are good.
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Eiprahs »

Hello Oldranger and others:

Now that a couple season have gone by, would you buy the Exped UL7 again, or is there something better on your horizon?

My wife is tired of sleeping on a Thermarest pad, so I need advice on an alternative.

Thanks all for contributing to this thread.

TIA
Dave
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave.

From my perspective the Expeds are the best alternative for old folks (farts like me included). My wife insists on the 9LW that does not come in the UL version but is much more durable--no leaks after several years but she has as many nights since purchase as I get in one year on mine. The UL version 7LW is still my mattress of choice though even with great care over 40 nights tends to develop a "micro" leak or two. This means it will deflate so slowly that while noticeably softer in the AM (more than just temp caused pressure reduction) you do not hit the ground. I can never find these leaks so I end up sending it in to Exped and the repair cost the price of shipping from my end. The snozzel bag that comes with the 7ul is an incredibly efficient means of inflating the mattress. I really wish the makers of inflatables such as mattresses, pillows and pack rafts would come up with a standard system of valves. Each of my pack rafts have different valve systems and they are both different from my Exped. Exped has 3 different inflation systems for their mattresses! So when my wife and I go together she requires a different inflation bag than I do, and hers is really heavy.

Mike
Mike

mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I just picked up a Big Agnes Double Z. Great pad for Summer. 4 inches thick with an internal stabilizing system. Very comfortable and quiet. R rating of 1.5, weighs 16oz and goes for $80. In shoulder season I will use it with a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad for some extra R value.

I've been using an original Neo-Air for the last 3 years and have been happy with it. I wasn't really looking to replace it but had a gift card and an REI dividend that was burning a hole in my pocket. After reading the Backpacker mag article I thought I'd give it a try.

I haven't had it out in the Sierra yet (soon) but 1st impressions and a side by side comparison with the Neo-Air have me thinking this is a solid choice.

http://www.backpacker.com/editors-choic ... wsletter02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rei.com/product/873463/big-a ... eeping-pad

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;