Hiking To El Capitan Top?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking To El Capitan Top?

Post by ndwoods »

There is one more no one has mentioned...not really a marked trail...:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

I also did the Yosemite Creek Trail in late May, camping at Eagle Peak. The side trip to El Capitan was pretty simple. There was no snow on the trails, but the creek crossings were high (especially a rather dicey wade of Yosemite Creek - I should have bushwacked down to the campground and crossed there on the road). If you're planning on doing this early season be prepared for bad weather. The second night it rained and then turned to snow so I hiked back out in a snow storm. However, early season is the best time in terms of crowds - I literally saw no one on the hike in and the next day only two guys who had climbed El Capitan the hard way on the trail to El Capitan and were on their way back down to the Valley by the Yosemite Falls trail along with a few people around the top of Yosemite Falls. On the hike out I saw no one. The views from El Capitan and Eagle Peak are beyond words.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

No, Big Oak Flat and the Snow Creek trail are at opposite ends of the valley.

There are lots of ways to get to the top of el cap. Acme mapper shows them all in an easy to use format. Instead of spoon feeding you info, I will offer you something more valuable and urge you to answer your own question using Acme Mapper, and yosemites website. You should come back and tell us which way you would like to take to el cap.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

I'm liking the Tamarack way the best. Seems to be the one that is less traveled according to some, which could make for better scenery and wildlife, which is what I'd like to shoot (as in pictures :lol: )
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

could make for better scenery and wildlife, which is what I'd like to shoot (as in pictures :lol: )
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hahaha!! good one
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

In late 2012 i did the Tamarack Creek trail. Its a gentle climb most of the way and the view from the summit is spectacular. We took some beginners with us and they did fine. By the end they were exhausted of course, but i think anyone in half decent shape can do it in and out in a day no problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk