Hiking To El Capitan Top?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Hiking To El Capitan Top?

Post by InsaneBoost »

I've been asked a few times in Yosemite where the trail to the top of El Capitan starts at, and I only thought it was possible rock climbing. Anyways, after searching around I've seen people name some trails and what not, but can find anything specific on it.

I'd like to add this to my list eventually when I am in better shape, but where exactly do these trails start? Anyone have trail maps for it, or a red line on a picture of where they are?

Very interested in this.

Thanks!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking To El Capitan Top?

Post by Vaca Russ »

Insane :) :) ,

Have you ever used any on line mapping tools like acme mapper?

http://mapper.acme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is really cool. I use it almost every day. Drill down to the Yosemite Valley and you will find about 4 maybe more trails that will take you to the top of El Capitan (without having to rock climb) :D .

-Russ
Last edited by Vaca Russ on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

People can take 5 trails to reach the top of El Capitan and ironicly the least used is the least effort and way less vertical, 8 or so miles. Start at the Tamarack Creek Campground going towards Cascade Creek. One note, after crossing the bridge cheat the annoying useless loop and do the obvious off trail to reach the trail above. Of course the road to the campground has a knack for being closed especially early season.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a description of the route from Tamarack to El Cap, with map, just scroll
down a little bit: http://books.google.com/books?id=o-EU-y ... ke&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InsaneBoost wrote:
Anyways, after searching around I've seen people name some trails and what not, but
can find anything specific on it.
Would be helpful to name those trails (trailheads), and which one interests you, many of
us here have done most to El Cap.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

A map?
Last edited by longri on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Vaca Russ wrote:Insane :) :) ,

Have you ever used any on line mapping tools like acme mapper?

http://mapper.acme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is really cool. I use it almost every day. Drill down to the Yosemite Valley and you will find about 4 maybe more trails that will take you to the top of El Capitan (without having to rock climb) :D .

-Russ
That's a really great tool. Never seen it before, definitely boomarked. How do I bring up the trails though? I don't seem to be seeing the four you say are there?
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

maverick wrote:Here is a description of the route from Tamarack to El Cap, with map, just scroll
down a little bit: http://books.google.com/books?id=o-EU-y ... ke&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InsaneBoost wrote:
Anyways, after searching around I've seen people name some trails and what not, but
can find anything specific on it.
Would be helpful to name those trails (trailheads), and which one interests you, many of
us here have done most to El Cap.
There isn't exactly one to be honest, I just saw numerous names, which you all have already posted, and was trying to figure out exactly where to start and where to go with a visual. I seem to be a more visual learner than a direction kind of guy
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

I think I might see all the trails that lead to the top of El Capitan now that I think about it. Do they all eventually lead into the Old Big Oak Flat Road? I also see Snow Creek Trail. I assume it's the same thing?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have hiked to the top of El Cap (and camped there) up the Yosemite Falls Trail, then over to El Cap on a trail that is on the USGS topo map. It was early season and much of the traverse (after leaving the Yosemite Falls Trail) was on packed snow. While we were camped on the top, the Yosemite Rescue team did a wall rescue practice, helicopters and all. It was quite the show to watch! Early season there is plenty of snow melt trickles to provide water.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

- Tamarack to El Cap: 8 miles one way
- Yosemite Creek trailhead to El Cap: 9.6 miles one way
- Porcupine to El Cap: 10.8 miles one way
- Snow Falls starts from the Valley at the end of Mirror Lake it is 14.5 miles to El Cap and
8 miles back down to the Valley via Yosemite Falls Trail from where you can take the
shuttle back towards the Mirror Lake trail.
Make sure you do the spur trail to Eagle Peak on the way to El Cap, absolutely outstanding
views from the top.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org