Hiking the Lost Coast Trail

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ross939 »

First off, I must apologize, as this topic has no relevance to the high Sierra. I do know, however this Forum has a wide diversity of hiking enthusiasts from all over California and the rest of the country, and for that I enjoy the conversations here.

I'm hoping to head up the coast to hike the Lost Coast Trail on California's rugged Mendocino/Humboldt County coast.

One of the biggest challenges right now is coordinating the drive. For those that are not familiar with the LCT, you would traditionally start at the northern most trailhead, at Matolle Beach, and hike south down the coast to Shelter Cove. Normally, you would park your car at Shelter Cove, then take a shuttle, or drive a second car to the Matolle trailhead. However, the shuttle service wants a couple hundred dollars per person, and two cars are out if the question, so I'm thinking about doing a loop hike where we would drive up to the the Saddle Mountain trailhead. This is known as the Rattlesnake Ridge, the Buck Creek Loop.

Anyone who has hiked this loop, I would love to hear about it. Sounds like a great hike, the only drawback would be that you would miss the northern most section of the LCT, where you have some breathtaking views such as the Punta Gorda Lighthouse.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking the Lost Coast Trail

Post by rlown »

how do you want to actually do it and when? Not about the loop idea but what is your desired trip? and this probably needs to be in "beyond the sierra" but we'll skip that for now.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here are two TR's posted on HST Ross, hope they help:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6419&start=0&hilit=lost+coast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6334&p=43631&hilit= ... ast#p43602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

rlown wrote:how do you want to actually do it and when? Not about the loop idea but what is your desired trip? and this probably needs to be in "beyond the sierra" but we'll skip that for now.
The desired trip would be the LCT from Matolle Beach trailhead to Shelter Cove. I am tentatively planning for May 30- June 2. However, one's wants aren't always feasible with what's available. I wanted to confirm, from any folks out there who have hiked the route, if there are other options than the private shuttle, getting from Shelter Cove to Matolle Beach. Any public transportation that I am not aware of, and are the roads in the area traveled enough to easily hitch a ride. The research I've done so so indicates a "no" to both quandaries.
Last edited by Ross939 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

maverick wrote:Here are two TR's posted on HST Ross, hope they help:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6419&start=0&hilit=lost+coast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6334&p=43631&hilit= ... ast#p43602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Maverick, I'll check it out. And thanks for moving the topic to the correct location.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

were your shuttle inquiries close to either trailhead? or even a chamber of commerce in the area? Petrolia?

I was only inquiring because i'm 228 miles from the trailhead. With gas prices the way they are, $200 a person is a good deal. Still painful though.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

Thanks, Rlown. It was my understanding that the shuttle service picks you up at Shelter Cove, where there is a sizable, secure parking lot where you park your car. They drive you to Mattole Beach trailhead, the you essentially hike back to your car. I'm certainly not bashing the shuttle folks, gas prices are very high. It's just an expense I'd hope to do without. I hadn't though about the Pertola Chamber of Commerce, thanks for the tip.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

A thread over on summit post has some warnings from a local.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/please ... 57933.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been trying to figure out logistics but weather uncertainties and the distance have this one on the back burner for me.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

Thanks, I had read the Summitpost thread, but I went back and took a second look and read the local's account a bit closer, good info to know, and makes one think twice about the inland loop options that I was contemplating. One thing I did find out was that the shuttle service price of $200 would be for one or two persons, so divided two ways that's I bit easier to swallow. Still uncertain about perusing this or not, I may well also place it on the back burner and go with something else.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Best is to do it with someone else and take two cars. The roads are classic motorcycle routes too. One car/one motorcycle would also work. When I did it (Matolle to Hwy 1) my husband met me and we returned to my car on his motorcycle. :eek:

You probably could drive into Shelter Cove and store a mountain bike, pick it up at the end of the trip and ride back the road/trails on top the Kings Range. You could do Matolle to Shelter Cove in 2 days with a VERY light pack that would not be hard to wear while mountain biking.

This is one area I would be reluctant to hitch.